Overall Niche Grade
- College PrepB
- Clubs & ActivitiesC
- Health & SafetyA-
- Resources & FacilitiesC-
Marion L. Steele High School is an above average, public school located in Amherst, OH. It has 1,238 students in grades 6-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 20 to 1. According to state test scores, 51% of students are at least proficient in math and 79% in reading.
Marion L. Steele High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A+174 Students
- B161 Students
- A-123 Students
- B109 Students
- B-103 Students
- C102 Students
- A-75 Students
- B68 Students
- A-63 Students
- B-58 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.23 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.23 responses
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.28 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.28 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.28 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.40 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.40 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.40 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.41 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.41 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.41 responses
Schools like Marion L. Steele High School
- B-Midview High School
- Midview Local School District, OH
- 172 reviews
- B-Columbia High School
- Columbia Local School District, OH
- 30 reviews
- B-North Ridgeville High School
- North Ridgeville City School District, OH
- 168 reviews
- B-Vermilion High School
- Vermilion Local School District, OH
- 103 reviews
Marion L. Steele High School Reviews
I have attended Amherst schools throughout my entire academic career. There are many positive aspects of this high school including tentative staff, numerous academic opportunities and a diverse selection of extracurriculars. This high school has many teachers that are willing to do anything to help their students succeed. While there are positive aspects, there are a couple of negative ones. First, there is a lack of diversity among students. Many of the students come from similar backgrounds and there aren’t too many diverse groups represented in the school. A final thing that needs to be changed is the $400 pay to play fee. I understand that students need to contribute to keep the sports and theater program running; however, people should not be forced to pay this fixed amount if they only participate in 1 extracurricular activity.
Great High School! Teachers and Staff are amazing! Coaching is fantastic, very personal experience with the coaches, they really care about the athletes. They go above and beyond to make everyone feel special.
Very good sports and clubs, offers AP and CCP classes. Recent administration change, but so far it's going well. Wish there was more funding for the arts. I mean, great arts program, but funding seems to be very unfair. Nationally acclaimed live news program. State famous marching band. Amazing sports teams, all quite successful. Most teachers generally very knowledgeable and helpful. Good environment, great city. Good special needs offers. The school itself could do with some general repair, but the district is rebuilding some schools right now. Construction is progress though, so that's good.