Marine Leadership Academy is a public school located in Chicago, IL. It has 840 students in grades 7-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 19 to 1. According to state test scores, 9% of students are at least proficient in math and 11% in reading.
Marine Leadership Academy Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- B+107 Students
- A-88 Students
- B-70 Students
- B-64 Students
- A-56 Students
- A+52 Students
- B+49 Students
- B48 Students
- B43 Students
- A+42 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.6 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.6 responses
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.6 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.6 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.6 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.6 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.6 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.6 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.6 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.6 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.6 responses
Marine Leadership Academy Reviews
Marine Leadership Academy. The name itself implies that there is a great deal of responsibility for every student in attendance. The military side of the school allows for students to develop discipline and character through experience. We are known to be a student run school. This means that we are given many opportunities to learn how to manage a position of authority, thus providing us with useful life skills. Aside from my previous statements, Marine Leadership Academy could use improvements in certain aspects. Due to our location we do not have many resources at hands reach. Which is why I have been on a quest for post-secondary guidance; I will forever take advantage of the endless opportunities that will arise.
The help of military personnel was ideal as they help shape up young adults into more of having initiative. Young leaders aspiring to do better and become self aware of others. Wanting to work on self improvement not only academic wise but character wise as well. Students are put into specific jobs and they have to be responsible of that; therefore, it creates some source of responsibility. Some of the changes I would make are academically have a well structurized grading system that is fair and challenging. The grading system is a poor choice as anyone can receive a D by just breathing. It needs to hold students accountable that they should want to work to get a decent enough grade.
Marine Leadership Academy takes pride in a lot of it's accomplishments, but the school isn't as great as it seems. We have very dedicated students, yet have to put up with innapropriate teachers, manipulative staff and an unjust system. At MLA students are able to get away with too much and invest 4 years of their life in a learning environment that doesn't prepare them for college or the work force.