grade A minus
Overall Niche Grade
- Academicsgrade B+
- Diversitygrade A minus
- Teachersgrade B+
- College Prepgrade B
- Clubs & Activitiesgrade B minus
- Health & Safetygrade B+
- Administrationgrade C+
- Sportsgrade B
- Foodgrade C
- Resources & Facilitiesgrade B
Manteo High School is a highly rated, public school located in Manteo, NC. It has 542 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 13 to 1. According to state test scores, 57% of students are at least proficient in math and 62% in reading.
Manteo High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- grade B107 Students
- grade A+88 Students
- grade A+69 Students
- grade A minus66 Students
- grade B+66 Students
- grade B+62 Students
- grade B42 Students
- grade B minus31 Students
- grade B31 Students
- grade A+29 Students
Living in the Area
Overall Niche Grade
- Cost of Livinggrade C
- Good for Familiesgrade B
- Housinggrade C minus
Median Household Income
Median Home Value
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school. 7 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there. 7 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 14 responses
- Pep rallies43%
- Football games21%
- Cross Country Meets7%
- Pep rallies7%
- Soccer Games7%
- Spirit Week7%
grade A minus
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive. 9 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy. 9 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic. 9 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons. 11 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students. 11 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom. 11 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
grade B minus
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
$12,033 / year
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in. 11 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need. 11 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations. 11 responses
Manteo High School Reviews
Rating 3.68 out of 5 60 reviews
Selecting a category below will take you to another page
My high school was very small, about 500 students. Because of that, the sports opportunities were limited. I felt like the teachers and administrators were very experienced but not very worldly. Things were done the same way they had been done for decades. I enjoyed the fact that it was a small high school in a small town, but there were drawbacks to that as well. During this Covid 19 crisis, I saw the power of our voices making a difference. The Board of Education was trying to decide how to have a graduation ceremony and came up with a plan. It wasn’t very creative and didn’t honor the seniors or their families or their accomplishments. So students, parents, and stakeholders voiced their opinions and the BOE decided to revisit their plan and come up with a better solution. This was a great lesson in the difference one person can make.
Manteo High school is an interesting environment. Within your first week here, you notice that it's incredibly diverse. You notice that the teachers are always willing to help, even if not all of them have the best 'nice guy' reputation. You notice that, while quite strict on keeping the school's good name, the administration loves to guide you towards you being college-ready. Every student is your friend, every teacher is your mentor, and every day at Manteo is a new adventure. Manteo High school may not be number one in academics, and we may not have the most clubs, but we do have the best environment. Manteo High school will always be number one in my heart, and I wouldn't want to be anywhere else but here. Maybe it's because this is a small town and everyone knows everyone, but regardless, it's one of the most amazing places on Earth.
I've had an okay high school experience. Nothing really stands out about Manteo High School, it's a small school in a small town on a small island. There's nothing remarkable about the high school itself. I have made great friends and people who I will hopefully stay in contact with when we're in college, but there's nothing about my high school that makes me say that it was a great experience.