Overall Niche Grade
- College PrepA+
- Clubs & ActivitiesA-
- Health & SafetyA+
- Resources & FacilitiesB-
Maine School of Science & Mathematics is a top rated, public, magnet school located in Limestone, ME. It has 127 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 7 to 1. According to state test scores, 90% of students are at least proficient in math and 90% in reading.
Maine School of Science & Mathematics Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- B52 Students
- A+31 Students
- A+28 Students
- A+27 Students
- A+24 Students
- A+23 Students
- A+23 Students
- A21 Students
- A-19 Students
- A+18 Students
Note: School map boundaries may have changed for the current school year so please contact your school district to verify school assignment for your child.
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.5 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.5 responses
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.6 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.6 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.6 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.8 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.8 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.8 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.6 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.6 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.6 responses
Schools like Maine School of Science & Mathematics
- B-Caribou High School
- Regional School Unit No. 39 (MSAD 39), ME
- 74 reviews
- BPresque Isle High School
- Regional School Unit No. 79 (MSAD 79), ME
- 114 reviews
- C-Fort Fairfield Middle/High School
- Regional School Unit No. 86 (MSAD 86), ME
- 32 reviews
- C+Washburn District High School
- Regional School Unit No. 45 (MSAD 45), ME
- 40 reviews
Maine School of Science & Mathematics Reviews
Maine School of Science and Mathematics is essentially a trial run of college. The classes are hard, but not too difficult. If you put effort into your work, you will pass your classes learning essential skills. MSSM had a wide variety of extra-curricular activities given its dorm-system which also leads to a tightly-knit, supportive community built on cooperation rather than competition.
The Maine School of Science and Mathematics is a residential magnet school in northern Maine. Students who live in the state of Maine are admitted by application only. Tuition is paid for by the state and room & board is paid for by the students family (however financial aid is available). The academics are amazing and the opportunities afforded to students are incredible. However, the facilities are run down and need work. Overall it is a great environment for learning and student life.
MSSM offers amazing educational opportunities and at school, I have met some of the most amazing people ever, however, at times the uber-competitive environment can take a toxic turn especially amongst younger students. In general though the teachers are great and I've learned more at MSSM than I ever thought possible.