Maggie Walker Governor's School is a top rated, public, magnet school located in Richmond, VA. It has 746 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 15 to 1. According to state test scores, 100% of students are at least proficient in math and 100% in reading.
Maggie Walker Governor's School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A+148 Students
- A+109 Students
- B+93 Students
- A+73 Students
- A51 Students
- A+51 Students
- A-44 Students
- A+43 Students
- A+42 Students
- A+39 Students
Note: School map boundaries may have changed for the current school year so please contact your school district to verify school assignment for your child.
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.6 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.6 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 34 responsesReport
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.7 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.7 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.7 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.11 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.11 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.11 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.9 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.9 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.9 responses
Maggie Walker Governor's School Reviews
Over the course of the past four years, I have found that Maggie Walker is most definitely a make-your-own-experience kind of school, but regardless, its student end up very prepared for college. While it has an extremely competitive environment and poor mental health, your general experience at MW are defined by the classes, clubs, and people you choose to surround yourself with. MW has hundreds of clubs, from our acapella group Deadbeats to dance teams to our many competitive academic teams like Model UN and Debate, so every student can be sure to find a club that interests them. Compared to most other local schools, MW has a much larger array of classes with classes like Arabic and VCU Web Design. Ultimately, I would never trade my experience at MW. I have found that each class is its own tight-knit community of 180 students, which is something you can find at no other school. This school provides many incomparable opportunities, so if you get in, I encourage you to join us!
An amazing place that shaped who I am. I've been successful in found and growing my own international company, and I really do owe it to skills and mindsets I developed the Governor's School! Diverse, wonderful school culture, and a place that fosters growth and development of useful skills... while also having great academics. The track and cross country teams are top class, and a great community. I'm still close with Governor's School friends, and we've met up around the world. It's amazing to see the incredible things that my classmates are doing now to make the world a better place!
I loved MLWGS! I think that, as a gifted student, it was the best choice for me. I felt challenged and was legitimately excited to go to school and learn something new. I definitely think that MLWGS offers college-level academics, arts, and athletics, so if you're looking for quality above the norm, this is where you'll find it.