grade A minus
Overall Niche Grade
- Academicsgrade B
- Diversitygrade A
- Teachersgrade B
- College Prepgrade B
- Clubs & Activitiesgrade A
- Health & Safetygrade B minus
- Administrationgrade B+
- Sportsgrade A
- Foodgrade B
- Resources & Facilitiesgrade B minus
Lowndes High School is a highly rated, public school located in Valdosta, GA. It has 2,866 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 18 to 1. According to state test scores, 54% of students are at least proficient in math and 51% in reading.
Lowndes High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Percent Proficient - Reading
Percent Proficient - Math
Average Graduation Rate
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- grade B minus793 Students
- grade A+562 Students
- grade B+301 Students
- grade B271 Students
- grade B+242 Students
- grade B212 Students
- grade A+174 Students
- grade B minus159 Students
- grade A+116 Students
- grade B minus113 Students
Note: School map boundaries may have changed for the current school year so please contact your school district to verify school assignment for your child.
Living in the Area
grade B minus
Overall Niche Grade
- Cost of Livinggrade B
- Good for Familiesgrade C+
- Housinggrade C
Median Household Income
Median Home Value
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
grade B minus
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school. 53 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there. 53 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 161 responses
- Football games37%
- Bond FIre13%
- Battle on the Border band competition11%
- Being part of the Georgia Bridgemen band family10%
- Drama Club Plays6%
- New principal. New traditions no one likes.5%
- ROTC field day, bowling lock in and military ball4%
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive. 73 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy. 73 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic. 73 responses
Average Teacher Salary
Teachers in First/Second Year
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons. 98 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students. 98 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom. 98 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
$9,498 / year
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in. 101 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need. 101 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations. 101 responses
Lowndes High School Reviews
Rating 3.77 out of 5 600 reviews
Selecting a category below will take you to another page
I love Lowndes High School! The teachers and administrators care deeply for their students, not only in their academic success, but also for their achievement of their personal goals and aspirations! They go above and beyond in order to prepare their students for the changing world around us. The school building itself is in need of improvements, which the school is in the process of doing. The school is being renovated in order to continue to meet the needs of the students and staff. I love Lowndes High School!
I only spent one semester at the Lowndes High School Campus, so I didn't get to know the school very well. The teachers I had though were good. I enjoyed the topics covered and how they were taught. The Dual Enrollment option was fantastic for me, and resulted in my graduating a semester early. The counselor was really helpful and supportive! I really liked the library, it was a very relaxing and open environment.
I have moved to Georgia in 2016 about to start my freshman year. To be honest, I was a little scared and worried because I did not know anybody on my first day of High School. After I have settled for a while, I actually started to love Lowndes High School. The teachers develop a good friendship with their students and the students gets involved in everything they can and I knew I would be able to fit in just well. I progressively made a new friend almost each day and I still keep in touch with them. In 2017, I made a big decision of joining the cheer team and it was the best choice I ever made. Not only did I make the team for 3 years, I also met my second family. Making the cheer team changed my life for the better and I am so grateful to have that opportunity to build new friendships with the team. They are the reason why I am proud to call myself a Lowndes High Viking student!