Los Altos High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A+206 Students
- A+179 Students
- A+175 Students
- A+161 Students
- A157 Students
- A+147 Students
- A143 Students
- A105 Students
- A-103 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.24 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.24 responses
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.31 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.31 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.31 responses
Average Teacher Salary
Teachers in First/Second Year
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.38 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.38 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.38 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.46 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.46 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.46 responses
Schools like Los Altos High School
- A+Mountain View High School
- Mountain View-Los Altos Union High School District, CA
- 239 reviews
- A+Henry M. Gunn High School
- Palo Alto Unified School District, CA
- 236 reviews
- A+Saratoga High School
- Los Gatos-Saratoga Joint Union High School District, CA
- 131 reviews
- A+Aragon High School
- San Mateo Union High School District, CA
- 207 reviews
Los Altos High School Reviews
Despite the excellent academics, Los Altos High has a toxic social environment that effects almost every aspect of school life. If you are not wealthy, do not send your kid here as the school is heavily segregated based on socioeconomic status. The "popular" kids who run the school have known each other since childhood as all of their parents are apart of the same country club. If you want your children spending their formative years at a school with spoiled and wealthy children that don't work very hard but get into Ivy league schools because they are coached by 200$ per hour tutors and have parents that make obscene donations, then by all means send your child here. Just know that they will be surrounded by phony people with no morals and ethics who only care about money and status. The ONLY reason I gave this school 2 stars was because of the academics.
Not only was the education system great, but the school community was very welcoming and encouraging of work ethic. This school was very STEM oriented which inspired many students to pursue and apply for careers that correspond to STEM. Teachers were very involved and dedicated to students success, which overall helped us as students for motivation. Extracurriculars including sports and clubs were also very well organized and funded as a district and fundraising .
As a current senior at Los Altos High School I have been able to view the school from each grade level. The academics here are rigorous, each student being expected to take at least a few AP and/or honors classes before graduating. The teachers, knowing this unspoken expectation, try their hardest to make the classes as enjoyable and easy as possible, while still covering all the material needed. However, despite this, and much alike many other high schools, students can stumble upon teachers that are, well, not pleasant. Other than the academics, Los Altos has okay sports programs, not being the best but also not the worst. The only downside of this high school I would have to say, is the lack of school spirit. Contrary to the traditional high school experience, students here do not take school pride seriously, and rallies, as well as dances, tend to be bland.