Los Altos High School is a top rated, public school located in Los Altos, CA. It has 2,088 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 20 to 1. According to state test scores, 70% of students are at least proficient in math and 82% in reading.
Los Altos High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A+300 Students
- A+266 Students
- A227 Students
- A226 Students
- A+223 Students
- A+213 Students
- A+173 Students
- A-158 Students
- A+143 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.28 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.28 responses
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.35 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.35 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.35 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.42 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.42 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.42 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.50 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.50 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.50 responses
Schools like Los Altos High School
- A+Mountain View High School
- Mountain View-Los Altos Union High School District, CA
- 254 reviews
- A+Henry M. Gunn High School
- Palo Alto Unified School District, CA
- 267 reviews
- A+Saratoga High School
- Los Gatos-Saratoga Joint Union High School District, CA
- 167 reviews
- A+Aragon High School
- San Mateo Union High School District, CA
- 238 reviews
Los Altos High School Reviews
The teachers at LAHS are great! My main complaint is that there is so much pressure. Academics definitely come first. Also, many of the students are very separated into distinct social groups. Sports teams are a good way to meet people and you go to a lot of competitions but it is not too intense overall. The campus itself is nice and the classroom are good as well. Food in the cafeteria is definitely not great but most students bring their own food or go off campus to eat.
The academics are overall very strong and some great teachers (but there are of course some bad ones in the mix). I would say the English department is consistently very strong, and the science department is generally strong too. The math department can go either way and can be challenging, but I've learned a GREAT deal from my math courses at LAHS. Now in college and having met people from all different sorts of high schools across the country, I've come to realize that LAHS offered a lot of resources (for example, I've met people who've never done PCR in high school, but we often did that in my biology classes). I would just say that there is generally a huge disparity between the regular vs AP/honors courses.
This is overall, a pretty good school. However, if you aren't in an honors or AP class, the environment is much different. The teachers aren't as passionate and overall, the quality of the class is poorer when it's a regular grade level class. Counseling services are okay. The college and career center is amazing and extremely helpful! This school gives a little too much money and attention to sports as compared to other programs.