Los Altos High School is a top rated, public school located in Los Altos, CA. It has 2,039 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 21 to 1. According to state test scores, 67% of students are at least proficient in math and 70% in reading.
Los Altos High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A+251 Students
- A+216 Students
- A+190 Students
- A+188 Students
- A186 Students
- A184 Students
- A+157 Students
- A-132 Students
- A126 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.25 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.25 responses
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.32 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.32 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.32 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.39 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.39 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.39 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.47 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.47 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.47 responses
Schools like Los Altos High School
- A+Mountain View High School
- Mountain View-Los Altos Union High School District, CA
- 246 reviews
- A+Henry M. Gunn High School
- Palo Alto Unified School District, CA
- 257 reviews
- A+Saratoga High School
- Los Gatos-Saratoga Joint Union High School District, CA
- 150 reviews
- A+Aragon High School
- San Mateo Union High School District, CA
- 226 reviews
Los Altos High School Reviews
This is overall, a pretty good school. However, if you aren't in an honors or AP class, the environment is much different. The teachers aren't as passionate and overall, the quality of the class is poorer when it's a regular grade level class. Counseling services are okay. The college and career center is amazing and extremely helpful! This school gives a little too much money and attention to sports as compared to other programs.
Los Altos high school is a great school overall. Academically, mostly every student is pretty successful with the help of great teachers. With the many resources and support systems from counselors and perhaps the implementation of a wellness center, LAHS is very safe, diverse, and welcoming. It’s an overall free and open campus that accepts people of all backgrounds. However, in terms of school spirit and student involvement in different activities such as sports, clubs, and other things, I think that LAHS could definitely promote these aspects more by encouraging students.
At Los Altos, I experienced a wide range of diversity among the students and the academic rigor of the curriculum. I initially underestimated the school because unreliable reviews from those who were more biased towards our rival high school, Mountain View. The staff across the departments are well qualified and teach students how to think for themselves, while providing support to those who seek it and who may seem to be struggling whether on the academic aspect or emotional. There are plenty of resources that students have access to and many who are willing to help you pursue whatever you may be passionate about. If you want to succeed, there's so many ways you can do so.