Los Alamos High School is a top rated, public school located in Los Alamos, NM. It has 821 students in grades 10-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 15 to 1. According to state test scores, 39% of students are at least proficient in math and 67% in reading.
Los Alamos High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- B204 Students
- B+118 Students
- A-80 Students
- A64 Students
- B-54 Students
- B+53 Students
- A-52 Students
- A46 Students
- A-44 Students
- A+44 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.18 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.18 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 31 responsesReport
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.23 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.23 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.23 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.30 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.30 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.30 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.31 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.31 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.31 responses
Los Alamos High School Reviews
Los Alamos High School may be ranked as one of the top public high schools in the nation, but it is only a good fit for a small number of over-achieving, self-motivated students. The high school is highly influenced by Los Alamos National Laboratories. Most students have at least one parent that works at the Lab, and the correlation between the two has led to a stressful, competitive outlook of both students and their parents. The pressure put on students, even if not directly by their own parents, is insane. To graduate with honors, students must have over a 4.0 cummulative GPA of a 4.0 scale. Straight A's mean nothing unless at least one of those A's is in an AP class. For students who are not meant for college, Los Alamos High School offers nothing. No manual skills like woodshop. Just advanced math and science classes.
Challenging school but great academics and preparation for the future! The teachers are (for the most part) wonderful and engaging. I’ve definitely encountered a lot of stress overall, but I do feel fully prepared for college and the real world
Los Alamos High School in Los Alamos, New Mexico is an excellent school to attend. The school is very involved in sports and supporting athletes of all sports and all ages and skill sets. The school is also a great supporter of the arts, such as music, choir, the fine arts, and other courses. Art shows and music concerts are hosted every school year. Los Alamos High School offers an assortment of courses for everyone, no matter what they like, such as forensics, humanities, etc. Granted, Los Alamos is rated as the third-best high school in New Mexico and therefore, it is a difficult school and wonderful for those who want a challenge. Overall, Los Alamos High School supports kids in all of their interests and beliefs.