Los Alamos High School is a top rated, public school located in Los Alamos, NM. It has 821 students in grades 10-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 15 to 1. According to state test scores, 39% of students are at least proficient in math and 67% in reading.
Los Alamos High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- B227 Students
- B136 Students
- A-95 Students
- A82 Students
- B64 Students
- B-60 Students
- A-59 Students
- A56 Students
- A+52 Students
- A+51 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.19 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.19 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 35 responsesReport
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.24 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.24 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.24 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.31 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.31 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.31 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.32 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.32 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.32 responses
Los Alamos High School Reviews
Thus far, my experience at Los Alamos High School has been very academics focused. The school is in a laboratory town, so everyone is focused on STEM centered jobs. Some might consider this a good thing, but many would agree with me that the school is to academics focused, and it takes a toll on many students mental health. The school also lacks diversity, which is not anyone's fault, but it can be difficult for students of color like me to feel comfortable, at home, and safe. Aside from these issues, there is a multitude of resources to prepare you for college and an incredible ballroom dance program-the only one in New Mexico.
Los Alamos High School may be ranked as one of the top public high schools in the nation, but it is only a good fit for a small number of over-achieving, self-motivated students. The high school is highly influenced by Los Alamos National Laboratories. Most students have at least one parent that works at the Lab, and the correlation between the two has led to a stressful, competitive outlook of both students and their parents. The pressure put on students, even if not directly by their own parents, is insane. To graduate with honors, students must have over a 4.0 cummulative GPA of a 4.0 scale. Straight A's mean nothing unless at least one of those A's is in an AP class. For students who are not meant for college, Los Alamos High School offers nothing. No manual skills like woodshop. Just advanced math and science classes.
Challenging school but great academics and preparation for the future! The teachers are (for the most part) wonderful and engaging. I’ve definitely encountered a lot of stress overall, but I do feel fully prepared for college and the real world