Longwood High School is a highly rated, public school located in Middle Island, NY. It has 2,707 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 14 to 1. According to state test scores, 83% of students are at least proficient in math and 97% in reading.
Longwood High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A-451 Students
- C336 Students
- A+212 Students
- B148 Students
- B+144 Students
- A-141 Students
- A+141 Students
- B+141 Students
- B118 Students
- A103 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.41 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.41 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 155 responsesReport
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.51 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.51 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.51 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.80 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.80 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.80 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.85 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.85 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.85 responses
Schools like Longwood High School
- B+Riverhead Senior High School
- Riverhead Central School District, NY
- 183 reviews
- A-Patchogue-Medford High School
- Patchogue-Medford Union Free School District, NY
- 421 reviews
- B+William Floyd High School
- William Floyd Union Free School District, NY
- 377 reviews
- A-Centereach High School
- Middle Country Central School District, NY
- 260 reviews
Longwood High School Reviews
Longwood High School is part of a school district in which students have a variety of choices in terms of classes, clubs, and sports. Longwood promotes both the STEM field through its internship opportunities and the Arts through its music programs, art honor societies, and multi-media classes. Longwood offers a multitude of different clubs from fitness clubs, to improvisational music jam sessions, to book clubs and cartooning lessons. While Longwood offers these opportunities, some of them, especially travel related activities, are unavailable to students from low income families. Opportunities such as Longwood Travels, Princeton Model Congress, and the annual Comicon trip are unattainable for some students. Even the yearbook and the prom are beyond what some families can pay. There is a clearly cut socioeconomic division that I wish the school could bridge together. At the very least, I wish for aid to be provided to students who rely on lunch waivers.
Longwood High School is a school where you will find a group of friends no matter what. The diverse population along with the huge number of clubs and activities will ensure that you find a place where you belong and enjoy yourself. Although there may be a lot of different things going on at once, you can count on the entire school bonding together at football games and other events. Most school days consist of simple quarrels or even physically violent fights. The students can sometimes get disrespectful towards the staff and roam the halls even when class is in session. There have been many instances where the police had to be brought in for investigation. Although the AP students remain at the top in the entire vicinity of Long Island, the students that remain at the bottom of the class (grade-wise) are reluctant to attain education and better themselves. MAll in all, this school is not the best, but it is not the worst either.
Overall my experience at Longwood High School has been pretty great. Over the past four years I've had my ups and downs with teachers and peers but the school has a good way of helping students when in need. Most teachers here are good at teaching to each students way of learning and are very helpful when needed. However like all places not everything is all sunshine and rainbows. I've had my fair share of bad teachers who truly can't teach, control a class, or are just flat out rude. Also in the beginning of my freshman year I struggled with friends and was in a very bad mental state but with the help of guidance counselors and the growing bond between my teammates on cross country and track I was able to get out of my bad head space.