Leonia High School
- Leonia, NJ
Overall Niche Grade
- Academicsgrade A
- Diversitygrade A
- Teachersgrade B+
- College Prepgrade A
- Clubs & Activitiesgrade C+
- Health & Safetygrade B+
- Administrationgrade C minus
- Sportsgrade B
- Foodgrade C minus
- Resources & Facilitiesgrade C+
Leonia High School is a highly rated, public school located in Leonia, NJ. It has 740 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 12 to 1. According to state test scores, 47% of students are at least proficient in math and 73% in reading.
Leonia High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Percent Proficient - Reading
Percent Proficient - Math
Average Graduation Rate
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- grade A196 Students
- grade A+138 Students
- grade B85 Students
- grade A+84 Students
- grade A minus73 Students
- grade A+71 Students
- grade B69 Students
- grade A+68 Students
- grade A+67 Students
- grade A+58 Students
Note: School map boundaries may have changed for the current school year so please contact your school district to verify school assignment for your child.
Living in the Area
Overall Niche Grade
- Cost of Livinggrade C minus
- Good for Familiesgrade A+
- Housinggrade C
Median Household Income
Median Home Value
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school. 21 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there. 21 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 38 responses
- Senior week37%
- Field trips13%
- Dorney park8%
- Annual music trip5%
- Debate Team Tournaments5%
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive. 24 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy. 24 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic. 24 responses
Average Teacher Salary
Teachers in First/Second Year
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons. 31 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students. 31 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom. 31 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
$20,205 / year
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in. 36 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need. 36 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations. 36 responses
Schools like Leonia High School
- grade AColumbia Secondary School
- New York City Geographic District No. 5, NY
- Rating 3.75 out of 5 115 reviews
- grade A minusTuckahoe High School
- Tuckahoe Union Free School District, NY
- Rating 3.57 out of 5 46 reviews
- grade A+Manhattan Center for Science & Mathematics
- New York City Geographic District No. 4, NY
- Rating 3.86 out of 5 732 reviews
- grade A+Bard High School Early College
- New York City Geographic District No. 1, NY
- Rating 3.74 out of 5 276 reviews
Leonia High School Reviews
Rating 3.4 out of 5 199 reviews
Selecting a category below will take you to another page
Leonia High School is different from the other public schools around the area. They have several different "academies" that other public schools do not offer such as the Science academy, the humanities academy, the culinary arts academy, and more. All of these academies have certain classes to be taken to graduate as "part of the program" which I thought was unique in the county. Overall, the school is small in number as the town is small so everyone knows each other one way or another. There are some iconic teachers in the school and there are teachers that are new that year. Some are really fun to hang out with and there are a few that people do not particularly enjoy. Overall, the school is fairly competitive so I was constantly surrounded by driven and motivated students. The only negative was that there were a lot of issues with smoking and vaping in bathrooms and mandatory AP exams were not it. I made a lot of close friends while I attended. Lots of asians. Diversity was a plus.
I loved being apart of the sport at Leonia High School. The sports at the school gave me the opportunities to gain leadership and communication skills with the coaches and student. I also loved the variety of clubs I was able to join and was able to be involved in my community!
Leonia High school is a great place to learn and grow! There are great teachers, academics, and clubs that have definitely enriched my life for the better.