Lawrence Free State High School is a highly rated, public school located in Lawrence, KS. It has 1,752 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 17 to 1. According to state test scores, 39% of students are at least proficient in math and 49% in reading.
Lawrence Free State High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A444 Students
- A155 Students
- B+76 Students
- B67 Students
- B+64 Students
- B54 Students
- A51 Students
- B-51 Students
- A45 Students
- A+40 Students
Note: School map boundaries may have changed for the current school year so please contact your school district to verify school assignment for your child.
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.30 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.30 responses
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.36 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.36 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.36 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.55 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.55 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.55 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.58 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.58 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.58 responses
Schools like Lawrence Free State High School
- ALawrence High School
- Lawrence Unified School District, KS
- 251 reviews
- ADe Soto High School
- DeSoto Unified School District, KS
- 245 reviews
- A-Eudora High School
- Eudora Unified School District, KS
- 84 reviews
- BPerry-Lecompton High School
- Perry Public Schools, KS
- 77 reviews
Lawrence Free State High School Reviews
I liked that there's a lot of opportunities for a variety of interests. The classes offered have a wide range, and their partnership with the College and Career Center allows students to get ahead in their area of interest. My school also has strong academics, with students competing in difficult competitions and winning. I think my school could improve on their design aspects, for instance, the lockers are being removed. High school students need lockers for storage, and the lack of space to put things is becoming an issue. We also need to add on to the school to support the growing class sizes.
Lawrence Free State High School was great, I had an awesome experience there! I enjoyed being a member of the basketball team and creating so many different memories. I was very pleased with the education I received as a student here. I graduated in 2015.
Free State high school has great teachers and staff. I went for four years and it was so much fun. The school gives you so many opportunities and advantages. There are tons of clubs you can join to expand your knowledge and social life. Free State High School is really big on school spirit, which makes it all the more fun! There's basketball, baseball, soccer, swimming, volleyball, cross country and track. The coaches are very motivating and will even help you with your acedemics. The teachers will ensure you are on the right path and make you incredibly satisfied with some of there teaching techniques. It was such a privilege to be able to get my high school diploma here. I always go visit my old teacher and my old advisor. It's a place that will give you so many great memories and really adapt you socially. I would highly recommend this high school to anyone. The school is very professional and the teachers make learning fun.