Overall Niche Grade
- College PrepA
- Clubs & ActivitiesA-
- Health & SafetyB+
- Resources & FacilitiesB-
Lawrence Free State High School is a highly rated, public school located in Lawrence, KS. It has 1,841 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 17 to 1. According to state test scores, 33% of students are at least proficient in math and 50% in reading.
Lawrence Free State High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A-532 Students
- A-190 Students
- B+107 Students
- B81 Students
- B77 Students
- B70 Students
- B-67 Students
- A-63 Students
- A-62 Students
- A+51 Students
Note: School map boundaries may have changed for the current school year so please contact your school district to verify school assignment for your child.
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.34 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.34 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 111 responsesReport
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.40 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.40 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.40 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.59 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.59 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.59 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.62 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.62 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.62 responses
Schools like Lawrence Free State High School
- ALawrence High School
- Lawrence Unified School District, KS
- 276 reviews
- A-De Soto High School
- DeSoto Unified School District, KS
- 265 reviews
- A-Eudora High School
- Eudora Unified School District, KS
- 89 reviews
- BPerry-Lecompton High School
- Perry Public Schools, KS
- 87 reviews
Lawrence Free State High School Reviews
I came here as a junior from an out-of-state, 300 student high school. During the first week of school, I was immediately welcomed and made tons of friends. The energy and devotion towards school spirit, sports, and music/theater is unmatched when compared to other high schools in the area or state. Academic wise, I noticed that the courses at Free State were challenging compared to my old school, but they were quite manageable. The teachers truly want you to succeed and are devoted to get to know you as an individual and not by face. I have connected with all of my teachers on a deeper level. Even though I do not attend Free State anymore, I can say that I still keep in contact with all my teachers and miss it everyday. It is an absolute shame that I cannot graduate from the best high school I have attended (I have attended plenty from various states and they do not come close)!
I'm currently a freshman and so far, I'm enjoying myself. The teachers are very supportive of their students and want to see their students thrive! What stood out to me is that the teachers of this school are also understanding when something occurs to a student. Many courses are available to students and many are involved in clubs and/or sports! They even have dual classes with the colleges around for students to earn college credit while in high school! This is a great school and I look forward to spending my next four school years here!
Free State High School is one the best high schools in the state of Kansas. The participation, tradition, and compassion amongst students and adults rivals all the other schools. Free State is known to have some of the best students who also excel in other extracurriculars activities. For a student to go to Free State there is no doubt they will have good experiences and memories by the time they graduate. Free State is a quality school despite being very young!