L&N STEM Academy is a highly rated, public, magnet school located in Knoxville, TN. It has 622 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 18 to 1. According to state test scores, 17% of students are at least proficient in math and 77% in reading.
L&N STEM Academy Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A-135 Students
- B54 Students
- A+47 Students
- B42 Students
- B37 Students
- C+31 Students
- B+23 Students
- B22 Students
- B-19 Students
- A+16 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.12 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.12 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 34 responsesReport
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.14 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.14 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.14 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.16 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.16 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.16 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.13 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.13 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.13 responses
L&N STEM Academy Reviews
Over my four years at the L&N STEM Academy, I have had a great high school experience. From the students to the faculty, the culture at this school thrives. The students here expect and accept challenges at hand. Because we are a STEM school, classes are held to a higher standard and are found more difficult compared to other schools. Clubs and organizations are student led and students are also given freedoms that they would not get at other schools. Because of this, the administration teaches the students to be accountable for their actions. Though, support is their for our students through teacher office hours, peer tutoring, and genius hours. Also, despite the fact that we are a STEM school, we have a great arts department. The school does a good job in making sure students' needs are met through classes offered and genius hours at school. Overall, this school is great for students who want to take a hold of their education, and make the most out of their high school career.
Although I have only been a freshmen for a couple of months, I’ve seem som ridiculous things at this school. My main problem is the people/teachers within the school and elective courses. I came to this school with very high expectations, due to it being called one of the best schools of Knoxville. There are some teacher who are very patient, caring, and helpful teachers at this school that I really appreciate. On the other hand, there are teachers who really don't care. These type of teachers are heavily bias towards favorite students and judge you and your work effort based off your friends. Other students have agreed about certain teachers being this way. Now students is a whole different thing. They literally will let any student into this school. L&N claims they have the best students. This is a lie, those students do not care about getting assignments done nor grades they get on those assignments.
Overall, STEM is a really great school. This will be my third year there and I have noticed that it is really easy to find your people here. The students at STEM are generally really nice and accepting which makes for an enjoyable experience. My experience has been very positive so far, but since STEM is a small magnet school there are a couple of things to keep in mind: it doesnt have many sports, it can be hard to meet people after freshman year, the guidance counselors are awful, and students may have to change schools if it doesn’t seem like they will have enough credits to graduate. (Ex. Failed one or more core classes)