Kentwood High School is a highly rated, public school located in Covington, WA. It has 2,074 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 22 to 1. According to state test scores, 41% of students are at least proficient in math and 86% in reading.
Kentwood High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A+385 Students
- A259 Students
- B+199 Students
- A-139 Students
- B-125 Students
- B-119 Students
- C107 Students
- B+105 Students
- B+84 Students
- A-73 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.33 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.33 responses
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.45 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.45 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.45 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.52 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.52 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.52 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.60 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.60 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.60 responses
Kentwood High School Reviews
Kentwood was a very competitive school in sports, more so leaning on Football, Softball, and Cheerleading. The academia is great as it offers a variety of AP classes (Biology, Chemistry, Psychology, Calculus) and a variety of languages to learn (Chinese Mandarin, Japanese, French, Spanish, ASL). The staff is very involved with the school sports and with the academics of their students. There were also numerous clubs for one to join, even though only a few people were in it. For example, I was in the book club for two years before I graduated in 2017 and there were less than ten members in the club. No matter the lack of people, the librarian made a tremendous effort to include all our opinions and experience with reading shine. Great experience overall!
The school itself as well as the atmosphere are very happy and well spirited, in my opinion; however, there is a negative circle of doom that daunts Kentwood High School. Running Start is an amazing opportunity. However, it has doomed our high school. Due to the plethora of student that choose Running Star, Junior and Senior classes are minimal. Last year there were cuts to the math, history, science, and arts programs. AP Stats and AP USH were demolished, AP Bio, AP Calc AB and BC, art, band and many other classes were minimized to one teacher, or period, and many teacher have been let go. As more classes are minimized or demolished, more students choose Running Start as an alternative to Run-down. The teachers that have stayed, and the classes that stay in contact are amazing and I wouldn't trade them for the world. I even chose to take a class at my high school with the same teacher again just because I loved him so much.
Kentwood High School has a myriad of great students to talk to and have fun with. They have 10s of great entertaining clubs and sports that help bring new friendships to anyone that joins them. However, that's when the pros end. The major cons that Kentwood has is that more than half their teachers struggle to teach or are completely unhelpful towards their students. I can name many teachers I've had at this school who have shunned me for misunderstanding them or simply asking a question. This demotivates the student to learn as their too afraid to ask a question without being embarrassed in front of the entire class. The bathrooms are poorly cared for, with half of the boys toilets being stained with dried urine and markings all around the stalls. The district as a whole is very unsupported and is widely popular for being "in debt" as students claim.