grade B minus
Overall Niche Grade
- Academicsgrade B minus
- Diversitygrade C+
- Teachersgrade B
- College Prepgrade C+
- Clubs & Activitiesgrade C+
- Health & Safetygrade B+
- Administrationgrade C+
- Sportsgrade B
- Foodgrade C+
- Resources & Facilitiesgrade C
Kalkaska High School is a public school located in Kalkaska, MI. It has 434 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 20 to 1. According to state test scores, 37% of students are at least proficient in math and 52% in reading.
Kalkaska High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Percent Proficient - Reading
Percent Proficient - Math
Average Graduation Rate
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- grade C+89 Students
- grade B+83 Students
- grade B80 Students
- grade A69 Students
- grade B minus67 Students
- grade A+56 Students
- grade B+48 Students
- grade B29 Students
- grade B minus26 Students
- grade B minus23 Students
Note: School map boundaries may have changed for the current school year so please contact your school district to verify school assignment for your child.
Living in the Area
Overall Niche Grade
- Cost of Livinggrade A minus
- Good for Familiesgrade C+
- Housinggrade B minus
Median Household Income
Median Home Value
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school. 8 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there. 8 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 22 responses
- Football games27%
- Spirit week18%
- Pep rallies5%
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive. 8 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy. 8 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic. 8 responses
Average Teacher Salary
Teachers in First/Second Year
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons. 9 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students. 9 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom. 9 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
$10,979 / year
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in. 9 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need. 9 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations. 9 responses
Schools like Kalkaska High School
- grade C+Forest Area High School
- Forest Area Community Schools, MI
- Rating 3.46 out of 5 24 reviews
- grade BBellaire Middle/High School
- Bellaire Public Schools, MI
- Rating 3.13 out of 5 30 reviews
- grade C+Mancelona High School
- Mancelona Public Schools, MI
- Rating 3.61 out of 5 51 reviews
- grade A minusElk Rapids High School
- Elk Rapids Schools, MI
- Rating 3.55 out of 5 86 reviews
Kalkaska High School Reviews
Rating 3.52 out of 5 54 reviews
Selecting a category below will take you to another page
Kalkaska High School offers much support to those who need it. The staff at KHS make sure to put their students first and work to accommodate their needs specifically. Kalkaska High School provides many extracurricular activities for almost any interest from art to wrestling to band and many others. At Kalkaska, if you have an issue, the teachers and staff do all they can to help. Even non school related issues, we have a pantry in school open Thursdays for kids in need, we have counselors in school, and teachers even throw a hand in too! We may not be the biggest school, but Kalkaska has the biggest heart.
Kalkaska high school staff is very welcoming. It is a small yet large enough school where you do not feel crammed. Although sports may not be strong suit we can pull through when it comes to school spirit. Being outgoing is at your best interest. Friends do not normally find you, you find them. You can learn a lot from our small community and the strength we have as a whole. Teachers are very helpful and our Principal has our best interests at heart. He is always looking out for us and making sure all our needs are met. We have food we enjoy, fun snack days, ice water when the AC is not working, fun activities for Homecoming and Snow-coming, and so much more. Our staff cares about us and supports us. Although you may not jump right in and fit in perfectly, it is an easy school to be able to slide in and shortly feel right at home. The principal makes sure the school is taken care of like a second home and he does very well. Overall Kalkaska is not an awful school to attend.
Kalkaska High School has quite a bit to offer compared to surrounding schools. The teachers genuinely care about the students and helping them learn, and they often coach the several sports offered. They could expand and add a few more sports, like skiing, figure skating, or hockey. Some teachers have even started clubs for different student groups, like chess club and an adventure/hiking club. Being near Northwestern Michigan College, they are also able to offer college classes and an early college program for students who wish to begin early. The food quality and diversity could be improved, but otherwise it's a pretty decent school.