John Marshall High School is a public school located in GLEN DALE, WV. It has 1,082 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 12 to 1. According to state test scores, 12% of students are at least proficient in math and 37% in reading.
John Marshall High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A-185 Students
- B-184 Students
- B65 Students
- B-43 Students
- C38 Students
- A+36 Students
- B35 Students
- C+32 Students
- A18 Students
- C17 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.13 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.13 responses
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.18 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.18 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.18 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.22 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.22 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.22 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.28 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.28 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.28 responses
Schools like John Marshall High School
- CCameron High School
- Marshall County Schools, WV
- 49 reviews
- C+Bellaire High School
- Bellaire Local School District, OH
- 29 reviews
- C+Beallsville High School
- Switzerland of Ohio Local School District, OH
- 17 reviews
- B-Buckeye Local High School
- Buckeye Local School District (Dillonvale), OH
- 26 reviews
John Marshall High School Reviews
My experience at John Marshall High School was decent at best. The academic side of John Marshall is alright if you stick to all honors and AP classes. They also have their "normal" classes which to be quite frank, are filled with teachers that hate their jobs and care little about their students. The classes have absolute bare minimum requirements to pass them and it makes the students so lazy they actually begin to not complete the little work they are given.
What makes John Marshall High School such a great school is the faculty and staff: the teachers prepare you for the next step of your life as best they can, the staff is always fun and energetic, and the administration works hard to keep the school running in an orderly and safe fashion. It is still a work in progress, but John Marshall provides students with many opportunities. If there was one thing I had to change, however, it would be the involvement of the counselors in preparation for college in terms of helping with scholarships and such.
John Marshall High School is truly a great school, with hardworking faculty and a large student body. JMHS, almost nearing 60 years since it was first built, looks brand new with renovations which finished last year. In my 3 years of being at John Marshall, we have had to go through construction in the entire school, and a new faculty. However, our student body was able to adapt to these changes, and I believe John Marshall is one of the best in West Virginia.