John Jay High School is an elite, public school located in Cross River, NY. It has 1,147 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 13 to 1. According to state test scores, 99% of students are at least proficient in math and 99% in reading.
John Jay High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A+92 Students
- A+89 Students
- A-85 Students
- A+77 Students
- A+67 Students
- A+63 Students
- A60 Students
- A+55 Students
- A+48 Students
- A+48 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.14 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.14 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 32 responsesReport
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.12 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.12 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.12 responses
Average Teacher Salary
Teachers in First/Second Year
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.16 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.16 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.16 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.17 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.17 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.17 responses
Schools like John Jay High School
- A+Briarcliff High School
- Briarcliff Manor Union Free School District, NY
- 70 reviews
- A+Horace Greeley High School
- Chappaqua Central School District, NY
- 92 reviews
- A+Weston High School
- Weston School District, CT
- 121 reviews
- A+Blind Brook High School
- Blind Brook-Rye Union Free School District, NY
- 43 reviews
John Jay High School Reviews
John Jay High School is a school that encourages its students to be accepting and respectful of everyone's differences. The culture is one of the best things about the school. The traffic flow could be better in the hallways; there are crazy traffic jams because the stairways are too narrow. It would be nice if they provided an outdoor area for eating lunch. Teachers are nice. Plenty of clubs, activities and sports. Strong academics, but could use more time management training to get ready for college. Kids are nice and it's a very safe school. Administration is respectful to students and parents.
We love the school, teachers and students. How ever there has been allot of changes the past couple of years. New Superintendents,teachers on leave and replacements. The replacements are learning and are not teaching up to code. Recently students were not prepared for the AP psychology exam. We still have a large difference in SATACT scores are lower than surrounding districts. Scrarsdale is always 100 points higher. why? I love the families, community and the kids. generally we have a great group of students all getting ready for college. John Jay should offer prep courses for the SAT and ACT but does not . Why? The community pays a great deal of Taxes all students are ear marked for college and work hard towards that goal. Sports are utmost important.The school is better than many but still has room for improvement.
John Jay High School has incredible teachers. The school counselors assist students in college applications and ensure that everyone ends up where they are meant to be. The faculty and staff are generally cheerful and compassionate people. John Jay does a good job at allowing students to explore things they are passionate about, whether it be theatre, sports, or clubs. While there are many things that can be improved (i.e. an increase in diversity, less censorship, etc.), John Jay High School is a great high school.