John Jay High School is a top rated, public school located in Cross River, NY. It has 1,049 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 13 to 1. According to state test scores, 99% of students are at least proficient in math and 99% in reading.
John Jay High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A-115 Students
- A+115 Students
- A+107 Students
- A+97 Students
- A82 Students
- A+81 Students
- A+74 Students
- A+62 Students
- A+61 Students
- A+60 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.14 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.14 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 32 responsesReport
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.12 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.12 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.12 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.16 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.16 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.16 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.17 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.17 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.17 responses
Schools like John Jay High School
- A+Briarcliff High School
- Briarcliff Manor Union Free School District, NY
- 75 reviews
- A+Horace Greeley High School
- Chappaqua Central School District, NY
- 118 reviews
- A+Weston High School
- Weston School District, CT
- 139 reviews
- A+Blind Brook High School
- Blind Brook-Rye Union Free School District, NY
- 50 reviews
John Jay High School Reviews
Amazing experience. John Jay has definitely prepared me for college. It’s a competitive environment but the administration, teachers and students are all very supportive and work together to make the experience fun and exciting. The teachers are absolutely wonderful! They clearly care about the students and love their job. Everyone wants you and helps you succeed academically but know that there is plenty of room for your own hobbies, interests and work.
JJHS has a solid academic program, sports program and extra curricular programs. It's easy to get engaged with the school as a parent and student. The facilities for sports and theater are very nice although the classrooms need serious improvement. They do not use a collaborative format and by no means focus on the individual student and "how" they learn best in varied settings. The classrooms and the library more resemble something from the 1980's or earlier. That said, the teachers are mostly good and engaged with the students as are the administrative personnel. I would increase the college preparedness and offer more advanced areas of study including in the languages and career choice areas (i.e., such as sports management, fashion design, health and more.) Overall, it's a very good public school but just needs greater thought-leading initiatives and perhaps greater funding to afford more updated facilities (beyond the sports facilities, which are clearly well funded).
John Jay excepting of all people of different races, genders, sexualities, etc. they make it known to the students by doing various activities about differences and having posters stating that everyone is welcome and can go to any adult for help. There is a strong connection between administration and the students. Everyday my friends and I say hi to the amazing lady at the front desk and the principal always has a smile on his face. John Jay is a community where any hobby you have is a big deal. You always know when the theater community has a show. No one misses a club meeting with the excitement that surrounds clubs at Jay. Clubs and sports games, are always accounted for in the announcements. The teachers will always stay after/come early if a student needs. The guidance department is one of the best parts. Whether you need help with family problems or have college questions, they always go above and beyond. You can go to any of them and they will do more than help you.