John A. Holmes High School
- EDENTON, NC
Overall Niche Grade
- Academicsgrade C
- Diversitygrade A
- Teachersgrade C+
- College Prepgrade C+
- Clubs & Activitiesgrade B minus
- Health & Safetygrade C
- Administrationgrade C
- Sportsgrade A
- Foodgrade C
- Resources & Facilitiesgrade C+
John A. Holmes High School is a public school located in EDENTON, NC. It has 551 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 14 to 1. According to state test scores, 32% of students are at least proficient in math and 32% in reading.
John A. Holmes High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Percent Proficient - Reading
Percent Proficient - Math
Average Graduation Rate
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- grade B133 Students
- grade A+88 Students
- grade A+71 Students
- grade B56 Students
- grade B minus54 Students
- grade B+51 Students
- grade B+49 Students
- grade A minus48 Students
- grade C+47 Students
- grade B43 Students
Map is loading
View Homes Near John A. Holmes High School
Note: School map boundaries may have changed for the current school year so please contact your school district to verify school assignment for your child.
Living in the Area
Overall Niche Grade
- Cost of Livinggrade B+
- Good for Familiesgrade B+
- Housinggrade B+
Median Household Income
Median Home Value
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school. 9 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there. 9 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 15 responses
- Football games and pep rallies40%
- School Dances20%
- PBIS celebrations13%
- Baseball Games7%
- Relay for Life7%
- Spirit Week7%
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive. 7 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy. 7 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic. 7 responses
Average Teacher Salary
Teachers in First/Second Year
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons. 12 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students. 12 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom. 12 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
grade B minus
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
$11,512 / year
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in. 11 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need. 11 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations. 11 responses
John A. Holmes High School Reviews
Rating 3.36 out of 5 75 reviews
Selecting a category below will take you to another page
I liked how if students didn't understand something the teachers would review it and review it over. They were very understanding during difficult times. They made sure not to give too much work during the pandemic. They wanted every child to succeed. They kept motivating students who were lacking and wanted to give up. The principals and other staff were out in the mornings ready to greet students and bus drivers. They are very respectful teachers even when they are disrespected. They work hard to get grades in on time. Overall I love John A Holmes High school. It made me the person I am today.
My experience with John A. Holmes High school was not as terrible for me compared to others. Most of the teachers were very friendly and likable not only because they treated the students with respect and helped students in need, but provided a safe and caring atmosphere for students to learn. Some classes were more beneficial than other classes in terms of college readiness and in life. For those students who wanted to be involved in extracurricular activities, there were a lot of activities for students from sports to clubs.
John A. Holmes has taught me a lot these past 4 years. Not just about the criteria, but how to survive the real world. All the teachers are there to help you not just with school work, but also with personal problems. The environment at the school is amazing. Everyone gets along for the most part. Bullying is relevant everywhere, but it seems as if everyone talks to everyone at the school. Sports play a big part in my experience at the school. The amount of pride I carry since I attend this school is high. I am very proud to be a student at JAHHS.