Overall Niche Grade
- College PrepC+
- Clubs & ActivitiesC-
- Health & SafetyB
- Resources & FacilitiesC-
Johannesburg-Lewiston High School is a public school located in Johannesburg, MI. It has 219 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 18 to 1. According to state test scores, 10% of students are at least proficient in math and 10% in reading.
Johannesburg-Lewiston High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- B23 Students
- B19 Students
- A15 Students
- B15 Students
- B-14 Students
- A+10 Students
- A9 Students
- B-9 Students
- C+7 Students
- B-7 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- We don't have enough responses to know if students agree that they feel safe at their school.Take our survey
- We don't have enough responses to know if students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.Take our survey
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 5 responsesReport
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.5 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.5 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.5 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.6 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.6 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.6 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.4 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.4 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.4 responses
Johannesburg-Lewiston High School Reviews
It’s a relatively decent school, especially for its location, although I see room for improvement. The school largely focuses on sports, specifically football and basketball, and provides barely if any funding for other activities like the arts or science. One other thing I found a problem with is part of the curriculum for the required health class. It heavily pushes abstinence and teaches little about actual intercourse and how to properly protect yourself. I understand that the area this school is in is largely Christian, but I don’t think it’s appropriate to push that agenda. Also, I’m not over exaggerating about this. All students were required, while taking the class to sign a paper saying they would practice abstinence, and it was for a grade! Now it just may be me, but I feel that is unecessary.
I enjoyed going to this school. The only draw back was that it was such a small school district there were not very many opportunities. They worked with what they were offered, which was very little. Not only did they work with their resources, they exceeded many expectations. Comparatively to the surrounding school districts, they excelled tremendously, given the challenges against them.
I love the community and the academic opportunities, especially when it comes to dual enrollment and college readiness. I enjoy going here!