Joel Barlow High School Rankings
Niche ranks over 14,000 public high schools based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A-124 Students
- A+49 Students
- B+43 Students
- A+37 Students
- B+36 Students
- A34 Students
- A+33 Students
- A33 Students
- A+33 Students
- A+32 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.12 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.12 responses
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.15 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.15 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.15 responses
Average Teacher Salary
Teachers in First/Second Year
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.25 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.25 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.25 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.29 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.29 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.29 responses
Joel Barlow High School Reviews
Review Joel Barlow High School
The number of clubs and activities outside of school is wonderful. Ski Club, Debate team, robotics team and French Club (hosting exchange students) are very active and have strong student participation. It is a rural/suburban upper middle class, largely (90%) white school. Very nice people, but students are privileged without really appreciating their privilege. The lack of racial, international and religious diversity is striking and contributes to a general bland and simplistic view of the world. We would certainly consider re-enrolling our child knowing the near to supplant experiences outside school.
The teachers are engaged with their class subjects and students. There is a good technological infrastructure for communication with parents. Some teacher utilize or respond more quickly than others through it, but it allows parents good access to teachers. The projects are challenging and quite relevant. Teaching style is firm but open to each student's difference. Although we could more follow-up to motivate students to reach potential or maintain high level work, we are pleased with the quality of instruction our child receives.
The teachers at Joel Barlow constantly encourage their students to share their ideas with their peers. Our teachers foster a positive environment, in which students are comfortable in taking risks, trying new things and sharing ideas. They constantly develop new teaching styles to fit the needs of their students, as well as the constant changes in technology. Almost every teacher at Barlow is an expert in what they are teaching and they are always great with communication and helping students whenever they need.