Joel Barlow High School is an elite, public school located in Redding, CT. It has 1,008 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 14 to 1. According to state test scores, 67% of students are at least proficient in math and 82% in reading.
Joel Barlow High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A-159 Students
- A+63 Students
- B+54 Students
- A+50 Students
- A-44 Students
- A42 Students
- A+40 Students
- A-39 Students
- A+38 Students
- A+38 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.13 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.13 responses
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.16 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.16 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.16 responses
Average Teacher Salary
Teachers in First/Second Year
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.26 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.26 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.26 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.30 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.30 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.30 responses
Schools like Joel Barlow High School
- A+Wilton High School
- Wilton Public Schools, CT
- 203 reviews
- ANorth Salem Middle/High School
- North Salem Central School District, NY
- 67 reviews
- A+Weston High School
- Weston School District, CT
- 121 reviews
- A+Staples High School
- Westport School District, CT
- 169 reviews
Joel Barlow High School Reviews
Barlow is difficult- and intended to be so. For a public school, the standards set are intense, which means both that students are able to leave the school with more-than-ample preparation for college and beyond. The downside, however, is that many students have a rude awakening early on when it comes to adapting not only to the difficulty of the school, but the specific expectations set by each and every teacher, especially the English department as a whole. To a degree, it can feel impossible to succeed at times, yet Joel Barlow's English department does not want students to succeed- they want students to keep improving while standards become more difficult. It's a carrot on a stick, but it forces students to either be almost overqualified for some colleges or choose to fail.
Joel Barlow High School is a great school for those hoping to attend college. The academics are slightly limited but taught by very qualified teachers, some even with doctorates or degrees from Ivy League colleges. Diversity is low because the high school is mainly attended by the wealthier, primarily white, residents of Redding and Easton CT. But some benefits of the wealthy, "small town" vibe are the amount of parent involvement and safety. Both of which, are high.
Barlow is part of a loving community that really prepares you for the real world! I have heard that If you take the AP classes, you will be all set for college. There is always help at Barlow! I have made so many new relationships that will last forever!