Jay County High School is a public school located in Portland, IN. It has 1,114 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 19 to 1. According to state test scores, 28% of students are at least proficient in math and 48% in reading.
Jay County High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- B+143 Students
- A88 Students
- A+59 Students
- B+42 Students
- B41 Students
- B-36 Students
- B-31 Students
- B-30 Students
- B27 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.12 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.12 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 29 responsesReport
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.16 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.16 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.16 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.21 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.21 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.21 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.22 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.22 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.22 responses
Jay County High School Reviews
There are a ton of clubs and sports that you can join. We have dual credit classes, with which you can graduate high school, going into college with an associate's degree already. We have a bunch of classes that gear toward your diploma (obviously) plus a bunch of college credit classes, which is awesome! The teachers try their best to educate us according to the standards. There are a lot of students that complain about the school, but in my eyes, there are a lot worse schools. We have opportunities that other high schools don't. Some teachers don't just consider us students, a lot of them consider us more than that, like their own children. I'd say Jay County High School is pretty awesome.
My favorite thing about Jay County High School is the large amount of opportunities it offers to students. I have had very great experiences throughout my time here. Jay County High School has so many opportunities. I have been able to take many dual credit courses and I feel this has prepared me for college. There is a wide variety of extra curricular activities as well. It is very easy to be involved because they offer so many things. There is many clubs as well as sports to participate in.
Jay County High School is an okay school. There are a lot of classes that you can take for college credit, but the teachers don´t really help you understand the subject. I feel that people here care more about sports than they do academics. I would like to see more people care about academics rather than sports. The food here is awful and sometimes it´s not even cooked all the way. Parents aren´t that involved in anything that happens here. I would like to see parents be more involved and that the food goes back to the way it was when I was a freshman,