Jamesville-Dewitt High School is a top rated, public school located in Dewitt, NY. It has 959 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 14 to 1. According to state test scores, 98% of students are at least proficient in math and 98% in reading.
Jamesville-Dewitt High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A84 Students
- A+59 Students
- A50 Students
- A+43 Students
- A+42 Students
- B41 Students
- B+34 Students
- A+34 Students
- A-32 Students
- A31 Students
Note: School map boundaries may have changed for the current school year so please contact your school district to verify school assignment for your child.
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.12 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.12 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 22 responsesReport
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.11 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.11 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.11 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.23 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.23 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.23 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.21 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.21 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.21 responses
Schools like Jamesville-Dewitt High School
- A+Fayetteville-Manlius Senior High School
- Fayetteville-Manlius Central School District, NY
- 137 reviews
- A-Westhill High School
- Westhill Central School District, NY
- 105 reviews
- A-Cazenovia High School
- Cazenovia Central School District, NY
- 73 reviews
- A-East Syracuse Minoa Central High School
- East Syracuse-Minoa Central School District, NY
- 116 reviews
Jamesville-Dewitt High School Reviews
I have had a great four years attending Jamesville-DeWitt High School. The majority of my teachers have been truly committed to the success of their students, as well as all of the staff. The student body is very diverse and a great size: big enough to have a new mix of people around you at different times, but small enough that there is a community among the students and we all know each other. If I were to change something, I would play with the idea of different learning styles in the classroom. Some classes were very engaging and interesting, but others were taught in outdated, monotone fashion that didn't keep my peers and I interested. Many immensely successful businesses and companies today work in environments designed to stimulate the mind through creativity. I believe designing a classroom similar to this environment would be very beneficial for many students not only in my high school, but around the world.
After spending four years at Jamesville-Dewitt, I can safely say that I was very satisfied with my experience here. JD is ranked in the top 250 schools in the country and now I can see why. The faculty is not only resourceful and great at what they do, but they also make great mentors. The school is very diverse and welcoming of all cultures. School spirit is also very strong and the amount of opportunities the students are given are amazing. efore every assembly, Principal Gasparini reminds us that we are the best school in America, and I couldn't agree more.
There are several different types of teachers. There are the teachers who heavily base their classes on textbook work and others that do a mixture of technology/hands on work mixed with textbook work. By the second day of class the student already knows how they'll be graded and what kinds of work they'll be doing, due to the course explanation the teacher provides during the first class. From my personal experience, all of my teachers have stayed after school until 3pm and some even later for students that need extra help. Some teachers even offer to review with students before classes start, at 7-7:45am. If a student is struggling with a class, the teacher confronts the student and asks them if they need any help and attempt to set up some sort of arrangement so that the student can receive help.