James River High School is an above average, public school located in Buchanan, VA. It has 546 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 13 to 1. According to state test scores, 94% of students are at least proficient in math and 87% in reading.
James River High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A+37 Students
- A33 Students
- A+31 Students
- B29 Students
- A-25 Students
- B+24 Students
- C+23 Students
- A-20 Students
- A+15 Students
- B+14 Students
Living in the Area
- Crime & SafetyNG
- Cost of LivingB
- Good for FamiliesA
Median Household Income
Median Home Value
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- We don't have enough responses to know if students agree that they feel safe at their school.Take our survey
- We don't have enough responses to know if students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.Take our survey
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.5 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.5 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.5 responses
- We don't have enough responses to know if students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.Take our survey
- We don't have enough responses to know if students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.Take our survey
- We don't have enough responses to know if students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.Take our survey
More opinions are needed!
Write a review to add yours.Review James River High School
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.7 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.7 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.7 responses
James River High School Reviews
James River High, a school sourounded by cow fields, at first you may think "well that dosnt seem like it'd be a super cool school" but you'd be wrong. In matter of fact being that secluded actually makes everything that much moreFun! There's serenity, no one's in a huge hurry to do too much, and this gives our sports an entire different feel because we don't have to worry about space. The faculty are phenomenal for they actually care about us and we can know them a little better since we are a smaller school, they'll very rarely ever forget our names even 5 years after we graduate. The building itself is in great shape with even some state of the art facilities such as 4 computer labs, gyms and weight rooms, and class room with plenty of room! The classes themselves are very thought out and we learn what we need too have a few students even graduate with their associates degree! These are just some of the reasons that James River is place to so many of my memories and a great school.
While the school has several teachers and staff that are great & love their career, the actual work and study that is available to prepare for adulthood is not challenging nor does it prepare you for college. This is not the actual school's fault rather the Botetourt County School Board and the VA Department of Education. The classes are too short to actually understand the information & as a Senior I did not have a book report or project my four years here. There is a variety of sports available but there is a huge favoritism towards Football & Baseball. The track stays flooded most of the time and there is no promotion of the other sports. Students are encouraged to follow paths that their parents took while attending there - girls in home ec & the like classes and boys attending the "dirty trades" classes or college bound. The education needs to be left up to the teachers and get rid of the SOL Program.
I love James River! The staff are always so nice, and my peers are the same way! We’re definitely what would be considered as a small-town school.