James River High School is an above average, public school located in Buchanan, VA. It has 551 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 14 to 1. According to state test scores, 89% of students are at least proficient in math and 92% in reading.
James River High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A47 Students
- A+46 Students
- A+43 Students
- B38 Students
- A-36 Students
- C34 Students
- B+31 Students
- A-28 Students
- B+24 Students
- A+22 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- We don't have enough responses to know if students agree that they feel safe at their school.Take our survey
- We don't have enough responses to know if students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.Take our survey
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.6 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.6 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.6 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.5 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.5 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.5 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.8 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.8 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.8 responses
James River High School Reviews
Overall I have loved my experience at James River High School. The thing that I like about James River High School is the people. It is located in a small town so our school becomes it is own community. We have recently started these days, one in the fall and one in the spring, called Day of Service days where the students sign up for activities to help out their community. This school has prepared me for college by offering dual enrollment classes with community colleges in the area and this school also has a trade-school of sorts that is partnered with it to prepare students who want to go straight into the work field or who want to gain skills for a degree they plan to gain later on . I have really enjoyed my time at this school.
James River High, a school sourounded by cow fields, at first you may think "well that dosnt seem like it'd be a super cool school" but you'd be wrong. In matter of fact being that secluded actually makes everything that much moreFun! There's serenity, no one's in a huge hurry to do too much, and this gives our sports an entire different feel because we don't have to worry about space. The faculty are phenomenal for they actually care about us and we can know them a little better since we are a smaller school, they'll very rarely ever forget our names even 5 years after we graduate. The building itself is in great shape with even some state of the art facilities such as 4 computer labs, gyms and weight rooms, and class room with plenty of room! The classes themselves are very thought out and we learn what we need too have a few students even graduate with their associates degree! These are just some of the reasons that James River is place to so many of my memories and a great school.
I love that James River High School is a small and close-knit school. Being a student that transferred to the school system, I was nervous that it would be tough adjusting, but everyone was so nice and welcoming. It is easy to get to know everybody very quickly as each grade, on average, has only 150 students. This makes for a relaxed learning environment and allows students to create a personal bond with the teachers. JRHS also offers many courses despite its size and has plenty of opportunities for community involvement. My experience at JRHS has been enjoyable.