James Campbell High School Reviews

1,001 reviews
My experience at James Campbell High School was average or maybe slightly less so. The academics at the school and teacher involvement is very poor, with few classes actually creating actual learning. Students are far less prepared for college in comparison to high schools in the main land. However, the admin is implementing a series of changes and adjustments which will hopefully improve the schools overall academics.
They’re grading system isn’t too great. Uniform & nametag policy is getting outta hand. On the bright side, their college & career center really helps you for the next level of education. Also, their academies gives you a feel of what you want to be when you grow up.
I really like the school's spirit and care for student's learning. The school does a great job with coming up with strategies to keep us safe. I would like to see an increase of qualified and willing teachers at the school.
Start Your Review of James Campbell High School
Students attending James Campbell High School have different opportunities to join different clubs and activities. We also have different academies. In those academies, there are different programs provided for the students. For example, in the Teaching and Learning Academy, we were given an opportunity to get dual credit by taking early college for the education pathway. Overall, Campbell's academic is outstanding because it benefits students in many ways. Also, the diversity of ethnic backgrounds helps us come together as one and spread the aloha we share in school.
James Campbell High School is well on track with preparing its students for college or workforce. The faculty and staff work very hard to develop and improve their students for success in and outside of the classroom.
When I first started at Campbell, dress tops and tardies were hardly enforced. Although, now in my senior year of high school, the school has enforced tardies and dress tops usage more through detention, phone calls home, and etc. James Campbell High School also started to use AVID strategies more within classes outside of the AVID classroom to better prepare students for college. We also have security that patrol all over campus and stand watch at the entrances and exits of our campus.
I like how friendly the teachers and staff are to the students and everyone seems to respect each other! I wish there was more information and help provided to new students that are not freshman.
At James Campbell High School, we have a very diverse population of students and staff. Every single day you would see someone new. We have an outside, open campus which is nice as I don't feel like I am locked up in school. However, at times it is difficult to focus in classes since most of the classes that I attend do not have AC. Another concern is that our parking lot is very limited, making it a stressful morning, worrying about finding parking. From my experience of the teachers at Campbell, most have great personalities but some honestly lack educating students effectively.
This school has come very far since my freshman year. Having an AC classroom was rare but now, majority of the school has AC. The school is very populated, but managing. The sports teams at James Campbell is very impressive. Academically, the school is getting better and better each year; Campbell follows the AVID values and strategies. They really strive for their students to be college and career ready. One effort to better help students with their future, they created academies, a system of broad groups to help students discover their passion and what they want to do in life in a certain field, like health or business.
Many of the teachers are very helping with academic work and really take the time to address the students that are struggling. I would like for the student to teacher ratio to be less in order for a better learning environment with my peers.
My name is Jacob, and this is my experience with James Campbell High School located on Oahu, Hawaii in Ewa Beach. It is a small school with a huge reputation upon each and everyone; not only students, teachers, and faculty, but to the community of Ewa Beach.
During my freshman year of high school, I was nervous and scared to be around such older people, but when I grew out of my comfort zone when making friends and growing together till the end of our senior year, we did not have a care in the world. It was just about making memorable memories as we grow in maturity and become adults. There was no such thing as fights and disrespect within the high school. Just love, fellowship, and aloha around the campus which keeps our pride strong when we are put down.
My experience with Campbell was a 6/10, but even if it was an average, normal experience, I learned a lot from being in that school and made some meaningful connections along the way. The school was special to me because of how diverse people were and how most people are kind and caring of others; they made it feel like we were family. However, I wish Campbell would put more heart and thought into making the school feel more secure and safe for the students attending there since it is a large school. I also wish that more people are more connected with other people and more understanding when it comes to mental health and, in general, getting to know others as well. Overall, my experience with Campbell was just like any other places and it has helped me learn many things and shaped me into who I am today. I am proud to be an alumni of James Campbell High School.
James Campbell High school, in my opinion, was a good school to get an education to prepare me for college. Most of my teachers were always pushing me to pursue a higher education after high school even though I disagreed with them on that topic. However, some teachers seem to be non-involved in their students education.
James Campbell High School provides a welcoming staff of teachers that are more than happy to stay after school to help their students. There are many programs to help students with college readiness, offering after school classes to prep for the ACT and SAT, having a college center with information, and providing meetings for certain colleges to come to the school and talk.
Although, a big problem with the school is that it's the only high school in Ewa Beach, meaning that there is a big over population problem. Too many kids are put into one class and it's too much for one teacher alone to handle. Also, it becomes hard for certain students to switch into classes that they need because of the system they have for signing up for classes.
James Campbell High School is the largest public high school in the state of Hawaii, with a student population over 3,000. There are many clubs and sports to fit every student. The administration does their best to make the school the best school in the state. One thing to improve is the food, one pro is that there are vending machines that provide the students' healthy snacks throughout the day; However, these vending machines aren't accessible during lunch- which is our only assigned eating time.
It is an overall good school in that there is little to no bullying and a small amount of fights. It is a hit or miss whether you will receive a great teacher who wants to teach you the skills to pass the class and more about life or whether you will receive a teacher that cares very little about teaching content or whether you understand what you are learning. JCHS definitely needs better security because students/civilians can walk on and off campus as they please because the security does not patrol or take issues very seriously. They recently installed air conditioning which is very good and I would like to see JCHS continue to improve its campus in the future because it has potential.
James Campbell High School is a very nice establishment with lots of qualified teachers and staff. I had a very good experience as a student and as I reflect on my experience as an alumnus, it makes me actually reminisce on all of the fun times I had both academically and recreationally.
Start Your Review of James Campbell High School
The AP teachers are very passionate and helpful in their subjects. However, the school itself is crowded.
James Campbell is a very diverse school. Its where I've met people from different cultural backgrounds and whom carries different values. Teachers and staff here are very affable and welcoming people. JCHS always strive to push students to their limits and to expose their abilities and skills.
I like the diversity at Campbell. The school also offers many classes to help grow your knowledge in an area you're interested in. However, the academic curriculum at this school is not very challenging unless you take the challenging AP classes.