James Caldwell High School is a highly rated, public school located in West Caldwell, NJ. It has 801 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 11 to 1. According to state test scores, 28% of students are at least proficient in math and 44% in reading.
James Caldwell High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A74 Students
- B+60 Students
- A53 Students
- A+52 Students
- A48 Students
- A-35 Students
- A+32 Students
- B+32 Students
- B25 Students
- A25 Students
Living in the Area
- Crime & SafetyA-
- Cost of LivingC-
- Good for FamiliesA-
Median Household Income
Median Home Value
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.8 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.8 responses
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.12 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.12 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.12 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.18 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.18 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.18 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.17 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.17 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.17 responses
Schools like James Caldwell High School
- A-Emerson Junior/Senior High School
- Emerson Public Schools, NJ
- 58 reviews
- A-Verona High School
- Verona Public Schools, NJ
- 123 reviews
- A-Waldwick High School
- Waldwick School District, NJ
- 43 reviews
- A-Midland Park Jr./Sr. High School
- Midland Park Public Schools, NJ
- 55 reviews
James Caldwell High School Reviews
Excellent experience with two students going through this school. The administration listens to students' and parents' concerns. The teachers are dedicated and genuinely care about their students. They could use more high-level/ AP courses for the most motivated students, but given the small size of the school, it's understandable. My only negative comment is that there is not much diversity and that brings a general culture that lacks cultural awareness and sensitivity in the school. The administration is proactive in addressing individual concerns in this regard, but could do more to improve in this area.
I have had two daughters study at JCHS. I would give the teachers 5 stars. I have never met more dedicated faculty and staff. Academics are strong and I agree with other reviews that the school could benefit from more advanced level classes but does an excellent job with the resources it has. Both my daughters were active in the music program which also benefits from great faculty and well-organized parent support. The administration is solid, but what keeps me from giving this school 5 stars is the lack of a real, tangible effort to outwardly address issues of race and gender.
As soon as I walked into James Caldwell High School, I felt like it was my home from home. On the first day of school, our principal said this was the "place of the possibilities". I made new friends, joined new clubs, sports and other activities at James Caldwell. I discovered myself here and this school has helped shape me into the person I am today. I enjoy coming here because it is more than just school. It is a very enjoyable time and the people here are more then friends; it is like a family. My Vice Principal said to me, "This is the happiest place on Earth besides Disney World,". I knew by the first month that this was my new reality.