James Buchanan High School
- MERCERSBURG, PA
Overall Niche Grade
- Academicsgrade B
- Diversitygrade C+
- Teachersgrade B minus
- College Prepgrade B minus
- Clubs & Activitiesgrade C
- Health & Safetygrade B+
- Administrationgrade B
- Sportsgrade C
- Foodgrade B+
- Resources & Facilitiesgrade B minus
James Buchanan High School is an above average, public school located in MERCERSBURG, PA. It has 695 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 15 to 1. According to state test scores, 67% of students are at least proficient in math and 77% in reading.
James Buchanan High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Percent Proficient - Reading
Percent Proficient - Math
Average Graduation Rate
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- grade B minus95 Students
- grade A+75 Students
- grade B57 Students
- grade A48 Students
- grade C+41 Students
- grade B minus39 Students
- grade B37 Students
- grade B36 Students
- grade B36 Students
- grade A minus32 Students
Map is loading
View Homes Near James Buchanan High School
Note: School map boundaries may have changed for the current school year so please contact your school district to verify school assignment for your child.
Living in the Area
Overall Niche Grade
- Cost of Livinggrade B+
- Good for Familiesgrade B minus
- Housinggrade B
Median Household Income
Median Home Value
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school. 18 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there. 18 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 50 responses
- Senior Decision Day20%
- Football Games16%
- JB Jamboree12%
- Sporting events12%
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive. 20 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy. 20 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic. 20 responses
Average Teacher Salary
Teachers in First/Second Year
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons. 30 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students. 30 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom. 30 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
$15,126 / year
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in. 32 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need. 32 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations. 32 responses
Schools like James Buchanan High School
- grade BClear Spring High School
- Washington County Public Schools, MD
- Rating 3.91 out of 5 66 reviews
- grade A minusGreencastle-Antrim Senior High School
- Greencastle-Antrim School District, PA
- Rating 3.52 out of 5 96 reviews
- grade B+Chambersburg Area Career Magnet School
- Chambersburg Area School District, PA
- Rating 4.65 out of 5 48 reviews
- grade B minusSouthern Fulton Junior/Senior High School
- Southern Fulton School District, PA
- Rating 3.4 out of 5 20 reviews
James Buchanan High School Reviews
Rating 3.95 out of 5 210 reviews
Selecting a category below will take you to another page
I felt like I was well educated in most of my classes and band and journalism were probably my favorite classes to take because I knew the teachers cared about me and the students in the class created a family. I feel like the school didn't always handle situation in a great way. It wasn't the administration in anyway, but a couple of things happened during the school year that couldn't really be prevented and it didn't make my high school experience as good as I thought it could have been. For example our band over-nighter got canceled because of an issue that happened. There was just a few disappointments because things that we were looking forward to got canceled. Other than that I think my high school experience was pretty good and I am thankful for the friendships I built and for the many teachers who cared and were always there for you.
I am now a senior at James Buchanan High School. My experience varies from freshman year to present year. The teachers all show appreciation and dedication to their students. The advanced placement classes are helpful as well when leading you up to the point of taking your AP tests. Clubs are very diverse here, they have one for just about everything and they each take part in helping the school become a better community for itself and the students. Overall, James Buchanan is very attentive to the safety and education of their students.
James Buchanan High School is a rural high school in Mercersburg, Pennsylvania. The school only has about 1,000 students. In the class of 2020, there are only 160 students. This school is great at accommodating your needs. The fact that it is a smaller school in the area, teachers are able to help all students with any of their problems. The staff here is great and most of the students are great too. I feel very safe at James Buchanan and my favorite part about the school is the sports. For football and basketball games, the students come to cheer on their school, some even travel to away games. Last year, the softball team had gone to states and there was a fairly large group that came out to watch the softball team succeed. I like that the school is smaller so everyone knows everyone and we become closer to one another and relate to some of the same things since we've grown up in the same area for years. James Buchanan High School is a pretty great school for the most part.