James Buchanan High School is a public school located in Mercersburg, PA. It has 795 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 17 to 1. According to state test scores, 65% of students are at least proficient in math and 79% in reading.
James Buchanan High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- B-69 Students
- A+56 Students
- B-39 Students
- A36 Students
- B32 Students
- B31 Students
- B-28 Students
- A27 Students
- B26 Students
- B+25 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.17 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.17 responses
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.19 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.19 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.19 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.29 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.29 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.29 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.31 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.31 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.31 responses
Schools like James Buchanan High School
- BClear Spring High School
- Washington County Public Schools, MD
- 54 reviews
- BGreencastle-Antrim Senior High School
- Greencastle-Antrim School District, PA
- 82 reviews
- B+Chambersburg Area Career Magnet School
- Chambersburg Area School District, PA
- 34 reviews
- C+Southern Fulton Junior/Senior High School
- Southern Fulton School District, PA
- 16 reviews
James Buchanan High School Reviews
James Buchanan High School (JB) has given me a great overall high school experience. Even though JB is a small rural school there are many positive experiences offered. There is an amazing teaching staff that knows every student by name. The student and faculty relationships are close allowing students to reach their full learning potentials. The relationships between the students and counselors allow staff to accurately prepare students for their lives after high school. There are many academic opportunities including optional advanced placement and college classes. Everyone student is free to express themselves throughout a variety of clubs and activities. JB's high school community is strong, caring, and tight knit. Personally, the only thing I would change would have to be the competitiveness of athletics within the surrounding area. I would recommend JB to anyone looking for a strong education that will prepare them for life after high school.
The teachers are absolutely phenomenal—especially the guidance counselors and college adviser. They will help you with anything, whether it be for planning your future, issues in the present, or dealing with the past; every single teacher is there for every single student. However, school-wide issues are very rarely dealt with in beneficial manners. Some students are very hateful towards others on a daily basis, yet the school has made a habit of letting the issues fly under the radar. As well as this, there have been common issues that students have with certain members of the faculty that have never been dealt with in a disciplinary manner, but rather the student has been told to adjust their behavior instead. However, other than that, JBHS is a great school to attend.
James Buchanan is a school with about 200 in the graduating class, a close-knit community, and where everyone knows who you are. Being in the middle of nowhere, the school does a great job of offering activities and clubs for students to participate in. Being asked to join yearbook in my sophomore year, I was promoted to be the first ever junior editor. Being a senior, looking back now I wouldn't trade it for the world. The faculty are different from any other. The superintendent actually makes it a point to visit the school to see the students. Resources such as morning tutoring sessions in the library and teachers are willing to help. Each student at James Buchanan has a computer that they can take home and use throughout the day. With the world evolving as much as it is, I think our school has done a good job of preparing us for the future. Feeling safe and welcomed in a place where you spend most of the days is worth everything.