James A. Garfield High School is a public school located in Garrettsville, OH. It has 416 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 18 to 1. According to state test scores, 52% of students are at least proficient in math and 52% in reading.
James A. Garfield High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- B66 Students
- B-30 Students
- A+24 Students
- B21 Students
- B20 Students
- A-20 Students
- B-19 Students
- B-14 Students
- A+13 Students
- B11 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- We don't have enough responses to know if students agree that they feel safe at their school.Take our survey
- We don't have enough responses to know if students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.Take our survey
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.5 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.5 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.5 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.6 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.6 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.6 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.7 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.7 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.7 responses
Schools like James A. Garfield High School
- B+Lordstown High School
- Lordstown Local School District, OH
- 32 reviews
- BJackson-Milton High School
- Jackson-Milton Local School District, OH
- 74 reviews
- B-Southeast High School
- Southeast Local School District (Ravenna), OH
- 79 reviews
- BLaBrae High School
- LaBrae Local School District, OH
- 91 reviews
James A. Garfield High School Reviews
I like attending James A. Garfield High School. The teachers are understanding, helpful, personable, and nice people. They always make sure things are okay and making sure you are always doing your best. Everyone is always so nice. I like the freedom we are given at this school. They give you responsibility once it is earned and tests you to make sure you are worthy of the responsibility that is given. It is easy to succeed when you have everyone rooting and helping you along the way. The only thing I would change about my school is punishment. I think some of the think the punishment given is too light or they are let off with a warning. Sometimes the teachers are too nice and want to see the good in people so bad that they lighten punishments. I agree with them giving people shots, but when they continue to ruin those chances I think they should make harsher punishments for those who need it. To not only punish a kid but make the environment better for everyone else in the school.
My experience at my school was very good. The teachers and administrators were very good, they cared about how you are doing and if you needed help with anything they were there to help. During high school I have made some really good friends who made going through school much better. If I could change something it would be the way they treat kids who do not care about school and the attitude of the underclassmen. Most of the underclassmen are rude to the teachers, and they do not listen and are always causing trouble.
This school is unique because the teachers and students are very close. Anyone can say anything to a teacher and they will understand. Most people don't get in trouble because the teachers and the principal is very understanding. Teachers really enjoy working there because they aren't stressed out about anything, they come to teach us new things and have fun doing so. I wouldn't choose this school again just because it's not the right school for me. I love the atmosphere of it, but my school is very small. Each grade only has about 125 students. I have always wanted to go to a bigger school. I would recommend it to parents though.