Jackson High School is an above average, public, magnet school located in Jackson, MI. It has 1,258 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 20 to 1. According to state test scores, 27% of students are at least proficient in math and 52% in reading.
Jackson High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A236 Students
- A+185 Students
- B+172 Students
- C-152 Students
- B106 Students
- B-105 Students
- B+92 Students
- B77 Students
- B+50 Students
- B49 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.19 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.19 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 78 responsesReport
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.25 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.25 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.25 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.30 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.30 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.30 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.32 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.32 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.32 responses
Schools like Jackson High School
- C+Concord High School
- Concord Community Schools, MI
- 55 reviews
- B-Northwest High School
- Northwest Community Schools, MI
- 182 reviews
- CVandercook Lake High School
- Vandercook Lake Public Schools, MI
- 42 reviews
- B-Springport High School
- Springport Public Schools, MI
- 39 reviews
Jackson High School Reviews
My school is very much a misunderstood place. Many people think that Jackson High is a bad place to attend school. I'm here as a recent graduate of Jackson High to let you know that it is not true. We have many educational opportunities including AP classes, dual enrollment, and the Career Center where students learned a trade or skill and also went to school for free. The school is also the best example of the great American melting pot that you can find outside of a major city like Detroit or Grand Rapids. Jackson is not exactly a happening place, which is best for students who need time to study and work, and network as well. I definitely recommend my school as your school of choice.
I enjoyed my experience at Jackson High. They have many AP Classes offered, which I took opportunity of. Most teachers are fantastic, with the exception of a few duds. Extracurriculars are varied and there’s something for everyone. There’s always an event taking place. The only thing I would like to see changed is decreased gender discrimination through dress code, better communication with divorced parents, fairer punishments for children of school board members, and opportunity to evaluate/review teachers.
My experience with Jackson High school has been phenomenal. The students and teachers are very welcoming and supportive. Most teachers try to challenge their students and make personal connections with them. The diversity of the school is beautiful and is one of my favorite parts about the school. The sports and extracurricular activities led me to meet so many amazing people. The school is big and diverse, so you have to like a large school if you wanted to go. But it’s well worth trying it out.