Ithaca Senior High School is a top rated, public school located in Ithaca, NY. It has 1,349 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 14 to 1. According to state test scores, 97% of students are at least proficient in math and 96% in reading.
Ithaca Senior High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A+251 Students
- B+108 Students
- A+89 Students
- A-81 Students
- A78 Students
- A+75 Students
- A+71 Students
- A+69 Students
- A+58 Students
- A-56 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.13 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.13 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 37 responsesReport
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.18 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.18 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.18 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.29 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.29 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.29 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.22 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.22 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.22 responses
Schools like Ithaca Senior High School
- B-Lehman Alternative Community School
- Ithaca City School District, NY
- 9 reviews
- ALansing High School
- Lansing Central School District, NY
- 19 reviews
- B+Charles O. Dickerson High School
- Trumansburg Central School District, NY
- 44 reviews
- B+Dryden High School
- Dryden Central School District, NY
- 98 reviews
Ithaca Senior High School Reviews
Overall, the academics at Ithaca High School are very strong. There are lots of opportunities for taking advanced classes and there are several extracurriculars to immerse oneself in. However, I was always quite concerned with my safety when attending the school. I would often feel uncomfortable around many of the rowdy students, and it seems the administration did a lousy job at discipline. Also, it seems that bullying is taken quite lightly. I’ve witnessed many students being bullied at school continuously, and the school administration would always fail to stop it. I believe the discipline at Ithaca High School must be harsher. In addition, I think the district should provide more mental health resources for its students.
Teachers are very hit or miss, some are fantastic and truly eye-opening while other really have no idea what they are doing. There are a lot of great opportunities for rigorous classes and clubs. School conditions are quite poor which smelly bathrooms, extremely water damaged ceilings, asbestos infested classrooms, and lead water. There is also a lack of good communication between students and the administration. IHS is diverse in the hallways but not in the classrooms, nearly all higher level classes are White and Asian dominated and I'm pretty sure there is only one non-white teacher in the enter school.
Ithaca High School is a medium sized high school, and the largest high school in the town of Ithaca NY. It offers a large variety of courses depending on grade level which includes many competitive courses like AP and honors courses. This is optimal for exploring interests or building a competitive transcript for your desired college and or career. Each department has an abundance of necessary equipment, there is an entire wing dedicated to videography and editing as well as an incredibly high quality gym.