Islip High School
- ISLIP, NY
Overall Niche Grade
- Academicsgrade A minus
- Diversitygrade A minus
- Teachersgrade A minus
- College Prepgrade B+
- Clubs & Activitiesgrade A
- Health & Safetygrade A
- Administrationgrade B+
- Sportsgrade A
- Foodgrade B
- Resources & Facilitiesgrade B+
Islip High School is a highly rated, public school located in ISLIP, NY. It has 964 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 10 to 1. According to state test scores, 93% of students are at least proficient in math and 97% in reading.
Islip High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Percent Proficient - Reading
Percent Proficient - Math
Average Graduation Rate
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- grade B+111 Students
- grade A minus78 Students
- grade A+72 Students
- grade C70 Students
- grade B minus56 Students
- grade A+52 Students
- grade B47 Students
- grade B+46 Students
- grade A44 Students
- grade B minus42 Students
Map is loading
View Homes Near Islip High School
Note: School map boundaries may have changed for the current school year so please contact your school district to verify school assignment for your child.
Living in the Area
Overall Niche Grade
- Cost of Livinggrade C
- Good for Familiesgrade B+
- Housinggrade C minus
Median Household Income
Median Home Value
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school. 20 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there. 20 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 33 responses
- Sports night33%
- Pep rally12%
- Float building9%
grade A minus
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive. 22 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy. 22 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic. 22 responses
Average Teacher Salary
Teachers in First/Second Year
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons. 26 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students. 26 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom. 26 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
$28,722 / year
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in. 26 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need. 26 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations. 26 responses
Schools like Islip High School
- grade ADivision Avenue Senior High School
- Levittown Union Free School District, NY
- Rating 3.81 out of 5 243 reviews
- grade A minusDeer Park High School
- Deer Park Union Free School District, NY
- Rating 3.7 out of 5 155 reviews
- grade AJohn H. Glenn High School
- Elwood Union Free School District, NY
- Rating 3.72 out of 5 119 reviews
- grade AFarmingdale Senior High School
- Farmingdale Union Free School District, NY
- Rating 4.03 out of 5 252 reviews
Islip High School Reviews
Rating 3.76 out of 5 186 reviews
Selecting a category below will take you to another page
Overall, I would say Islip is an above average high school. There are no major negatives or concerns with the school. The school is very safe with incredible sports facilities and a good amount of options when it comes to courses and extracurriculars. The sports team are competitive all-around and offer good resources for athletes. The cafeteria has also been rated highly with solid quality and options. However, there are things the school can improve on such AP course selection and college readiness. I was unable to take multiple AP courses that I was hoping to take this year due to them being dropped or school scheduling conflicts. Additionally, guidance lacks information and connections with prestigious universities. The school is also behind on college preparatory events and services. Overall, I had a great experience at Islip High School but believe it needs to be better at helping students get into better schools.
Islip High School is really just an average school. They do have great clubs and activities for students to participate in. Their security is excellent. However, they need to change some of their policies that harm students. For instance, certain groups of students are favored at the expense of others. This year, student government has priority parking in the senior parking lot. The district also pushes AP classes onto kids and put members of certain academies at school under loads of stress by requiring multiple APs. They should also fix the sinks in the bathrooms because they are like pretty bad.
Islip High School offered little in college preparedness. However this does not mean Islip was bad, far from it. There were tons of teachers that knew what they were talking about and were willing to explain and teach it to those confused, if they put in the work to finding help. Yet there were teachers that were great people, but terrible teachers. Clubs in Islip were everything at islip. For a small school, there were a lot of clubs, but sports were not as interesting. We didn’t have enough students to have a swimming or gymnastics team so we paired up with another small school. There was not a lot of diversity in the school, as the school was mainly white people, but we develop more vents dedicated to diversity. The safety of Islip was sort of laid back and you could really enter anywhere to get in the school. The food really went downhill after that chef from chopped left.