Island High School is a public, alternative school located in Alameda, CA. It has 117 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 10 to 1. According to state test scores, 10% of students are at least proficient in math and 25% in reading.
Island High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- C3 Students
- C-3 Students
- A2 Students
- NG1 Student
- B+1 Student
- B-1 Student
- B-1 Student
- A+1 Student
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- We don't have enough responses to know if students agree that they feel safe at their school.Take our survey
- We don't have enough responses to know if students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.Take our survey
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- We don't have enough responses to know if students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.Take our survey
- We don't have enough responses to know if students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.Take our survey
- We don't have enough responses to know if students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.Take our survey
- We don't have enough responses to know if students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.Take our survey
- We don't have enough responses to know if students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.Take our survey
- We don't have enough responses to know if students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.Take our survey
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- We don't have enough responses to know if students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.Take our survey
- We don't have enough responses to know if students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.Take our survey
- We don't have enough responses to know if students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.Take our survey
Schools like Island High School
- A-Encinal Junior/Senior High School
- Alameda City Unified School District, CA
- 153 reviews
- C+Gateway High School
- San Francisco Unified School District, CA
- 18 reviews
- B-Lincoln High School
- San Leandro Unified School District, CA
- 1 review
- BEast Bay Arts High School
- San Lorenzo Unified School District, CA
- 44 reviews
Island High School Reviews
Island recently lost a lot of their funding because of our high test scores during the Standardized testing. Normally these would be a great thing to here of high test scores, problem is we are not the only continuation school in California. So money in our budgeting was taken away and given to another less fortunate continuation high school. We currently only have a few after school activities and this is just to keep our Athletic transfers happy. This year we had volleyball, basketball, and soccer which are all seasonal sports because we play other high schools like any other traditional high school.
Island high school in my area is considered to be the low of the lows for schooling in the Alameda Unified School district. This is because of spread rumors of how us as a school is prone t violent students and pregnant teenagers. This is just not the case and it's time to speak up on these rumors. For one teachers give no slack at Island. If you have a dead line, you have deadline there's no but's, and's or if's. It may sound harsh but all the staff truly loves and cares for there students. They just want us to realize all the potential we have and to gain skills that we'll be using in the long run. The best way to describe the students at Island, is a bunch off misfits. Me personally transferring to Island High school was one of the best career choices I ever made in my life. Before I chose to go to Island I had this mind set of, just graduate from high school, get a job and work there for the rest of my life even if I just end up flipping burgers. Once I got to this new school I just had this feeling of the greatest relief to make a difference. One class that future graduates must take was a class called life after high school. It's exactly what it sounds like, the class would discuss hobbies, ambitions, and potential career choices. And it was then that I realized that my hobby was working in male dominated fields to prove to myself and others that gender should not create a gap in society. Now that's why I have made the choice to go into the automotive industry. Never in a million years would I have thought that I was going to a college/ technical school. And truth be told I had never even heard of a technical school until going to Island.
Like I said previously we have low funding in sports so we have beaten down equipment, no fields, locker rooms, or weight room. We didn't even get enough funding for coaches so all the teams are training themselves. Really the only thing that all the teams had to look forward to were new jerseys, which don't get me wrong they are great but all the balls are all broken down and deflated.