Irvington Middle School Reviews

The small school setting makes for a collaborative, supportive learning environment. My wife and I are so impressed with the academic level and social awareness of our child. We credit both the cultural richness of the New York metro area and the Irvington school district for her tremendous academic and social progress. Our child is writing with insight about topics I wasn't even aware of at her age. Her math ability is strong and confident. Similarly, her engagement level is high in French and science class.
My child is having a great experience with her teachers. Her teachers set clear, high expectations. When she has needed additional help, they are available before school and during school to provide support. My child can also email her teachers when she has a question. They are very positive and reach out to let us know if they have any concerns. In 6th grade the recognize how significant a transition it is for children coming from elementary school. Over the three years of middle school they are focused on helping students develop the academic and social-emotional independence needed to succeed in high school. I was very impressed that I could meet nearly all of her teachers and the guidance counselor together in one meeting to discuss her progress. They are bright and dedicated professionals and that setting proved effective for collaboratively sharing her strengths and areas where support was needed. It lead to an improved experience for my child.
One of the benefits of a small school community is that people are close and friendly. If my child has a tough day, I can reach out to the guidance counselor to check in with her. From the security person to the school nurse and of course teachers, I feel like there is good care for the students. With sports, the schools are even leading the way by implementing a concussion prevention program for athletes. Students know local village youth police officers by name. The Irvington Diversity Foundation supports programs to support inclusion and anti-bullying programs. The Community Advisory Board includes students and school and village leaders working together to create awareness and prevent substance abuse.
Start Your Review of Irvington Middle School
There are a broad, expanding range of extracurricular activities like the SAIL leadership program, Science Olympiad, the Diversity Alliance, orchestra, strong sports options, midnight run (helps provide food to the homeless), theater, environmental club, a literary magazine, and much more.
Talking to parents with students who went to IMS 5+ years ago, it's clear it's gotten much stronger. Unlike my own middle school years, it seems most kids have very positive experiences. The school is very conscientious about transitioning kids from elementary school to learn the independence needed in middle school. Similarly, by 8th grade students increasingly manage their own learning, particularly with time-management and advocating for themselves, so they are prepared for high school. The modified sports, music, and extracurricular programs are quite strong!
They have great options for regular courses, courses where kids need additional time/support and advanced level courses. The counselors do an excellent job of putting together the schedules and the workload is manageable. The best thing about the academics is that most teachers are passionate and teach through hands on approaches and conversations.
Health and Safety policies are normal for what you would see in a middle school
There are so many options for clubs and sports at this school. Everything from the regular football, basketball, soccer, lacrosse, baseball, volleyball to ping pong and golf teams!
My daughter transitioned in from another district in Westchester County. Not only were students very welcoming, the teachers were (and are) AMAZING!! They knew that she was new! (They must get a list) and clearly went out of their way to make her comfortable. There has been a VAST difference between this district and the last. The culture of this school is that of team spirit, mutual respect, and the teachers are AMAZING! They are truly partners in education, want the best for our children and work VERY hard. With that and the modified sports options to prepare them for high school sports, we are very happy with the move to Irvington.