Irvington High School Reviews

Irvington High School is a very academically competitive school. It requires all grades except 11th graders to complete research/service benchmark projects to graduate. These projects are yearlong and count towards graduation. A lot of time is required to complete these projects, but it does help you to learn how to form a formal research project as well as prepare you for college material. The stress level here at Irvington, however, is pretty high.
There are some aspects of Irvington that are really great: class selection, the arts program, and most teachers. However, Irvington also has a toxic environment where students care more about academics than academic honesty or the well-fare of their peers. Many students place their grades above their mental health; this mindset is greatly influenced by peer pressure and the unhealthy culture of taking courses just to tally up more AP and honors classes. All in all, Irvington is a decent school if you want to get a good education, but be prepared for the stress that may follow.
I like how accepting Irvington is, but the stress is overwhelming. So many of my peers struggle mentally because of the environment. Additionally, although there are many amazing teachers, some are outright dreadful.
Start Your Review of Irvington High School
I loved my high school career at Irvington High School. I loved all of my teachers because they were so dedicated to growing their students in knowledge, wisdom, and life. The environment of the school was nurturing, warm, and always had resources for the students to turn to for educational and self-care purposes. Whenever I look back at Irvington, I'm always reminded of the good, hardworking people I met and grew up with. When I look at the same people now, I am so proud of Irvington and how this high school prepared my friends, peers, and acquaintances for the great things they're doing today.
The community is great and has a very accepting atmosphere. While there are notorious benchmark projects for each grade level (except for juniors), there is great value in these projects. Irvington is constantly shadowed by Mission, when I think it is so much more. The majority of the teachers are great and care about their students, but it is almost inevitable to encounter that one teacher who's just there for the job.
I enjoyed the fact that the school was so diverse, not just ethnically but also in terms of experience. The system of "families" at our school which ensure that everyone has classes with people who have similar interests means that each persons experience in the school is unique. I disliked the "benchmark projects" they ran every year because they seemed forced. The school is also somewhat big which is good because you meet more people but bad because teachers/counselors dont really know you that well. The academic rigor is also very high which potentially creates stress for a lot of my peers. However, most teachers are knowledgeable and teach well. Due to the general area, parents are also far too involved for my taste in both academoc and social lives.
The teachers at Irvington High school are great at teaching in an interesting way and making sure that you understand everything they tell you. A few things I would like to see an improvement in is for the family system to be easier to get out of and for the food quality to improve.
The teachers are mostly amazing, and I'm really thankful to go to school in an area with so many opportunities; while there is a lot of pressure to do well, I feel that it motivates me to accomplish my goals and build a solid path for my future. My experience with AP biology in this school got me a 5 on the AP exam and has influenced me to want to major in Biology in the future.
Irvington has three benchmark projects throughout the four years of high school (every year except for junior year), one of which resembles a college thesis. It provides decent academic opportunities, but could be improved. Recent changes in the academic programs have caused a lot of conflicts among teachers and students. Irvington has a lot of resources available to students, however, they are not always well publicized. Some examples are an athletic trainer for students who participate in sports, four counselors, and a psychiatrist. A lot of clubs are very repetitive and similar, but a stricter policy is being implemented to ensure that these problems are addressed.
Irvington High is a nice school, some bad teachers but mostly good and some exceptionally awesome people willing to help with your high school education. There are some courses that I disagree with that are mandatory such as health and others, but most of the courses are standard and normal. The honors program by which exceptional students can advance at a faster rate than others is well done. There are many engaging clubs and sports to participate in. Overall I rate the school very good.
I absolutely love my high school. The community is just so heartwarming and kind. Our school has a lot of spirit that we show through clubs, rallies, and spirit days. It's so fun to interact around the school and make new friends. Also, the sports are spectacular. The only way your school can do well in sports is if you have student that are dedicated and strive to excel in sport. That is something our school definitely has.The teachers are also amazing, there dedication to the students' success is incredible.
Irvington has a wide range of courses and at the least, average teachers. It would be nice to see better club management and less expensive food.
The system has some flaws, but it works in general. Some of the facilities could use an upgrade, but they are satisfactory overall and work well for the most part.
Irvington was a very diverse school, which a large immigrant population. The minorities in the U.S. were majorities in the school, which was very very nice thing because it was eye opening. The school was known for its high test and AP scores and students that got into "good universities" but it was not a good environment for students. The school was very very stressful for students, to the point where a study that was done on the school found out that it had higher stress levels then that of a few known medical schools
Irvington High School was an okay high school in the concept that I enjoyed the people there. The topics there was pretty simple. However, I had the most problems in that school because it did not know if it wanted to be a STEM school or an Art school. There was a lot of push and pull, overall it was nice.
I liked my overall experience at Irvington High School. I think the over competitive culture and overloading of APs may need to be adressed, but it does result in superior college preparedness.
Start Your Review of Irvington High School
I hated this school. The teachers and the students both suck. It was the worst time of my life. I even did college connection so I wouldn't have to go to the campus anymore.
Irvington High School is overall, a pretty okay school. Student wise, there are tons of clubs and a lot of diversity, so everyone feels welcome. However, the admin can be a bit rude to students at times, and some AP teachers there do not do a good job of preparing their students for the AP test, or are just plain too hard for no good reason.
I would like to see math teachers that know what they are teaching and actually care about helping their students excel.