International School of Indiana Reviews

ISI was once a jewel. Now , it has lost many students and teachers and has taken legal actions against parent groups trying to improve the school. Several EEOC filings have been made against the school by teachers. No positive energy anymore. Full of intolerance. Look elsewhere.
The International School of Indiana has been a big part of my life. I grew up in that school and never left. I would highly recommend it to anyone who wants to learn a new language from a young and continue with it into college. I am so grateful my parents put me in this school at the elementary level because now, I am fluent in French! I'm so excited that they have taught me how to approach and love others no matter what their race, gender, nationality or whatever it may be. The college counselors are incredible and start your child to be college ready their freshman year. The school overall has really strong arts and science departments, which is something they are not commonly known for. The teacher to student connection is incredible. The faculty are incredibly kind.
The International School of Indiana offers high-quality education, especially in the language programs. The teachers engage with their students and genuinely care about their development as a person. I feel prepared to face the "World Stage" with the education I have received at this school.
Start Your Review of International School of Indiana
My experience with ISI has been awful. The administration is horrible and the politics ruin the overall experience. This school has declined over the years and it's sad.
As a current junior that has gone to ISI since 1st grade, I have seen first-hand the way the school prepares a student for college and life itself. The full IB program is one of the best educations you can get. Although the IB is a pain in the butt, it offers an alternative approach to a standard public or private high school. One problem with ISI is that some classes are easier than others, although they count for the same credit. However, most teachers are very dedicated to their jobs and are teach very rigorous classes. Though, some are considered jokes among students for being idiots. The diversity at this school is amazing, I've gotten to meet people I would never have met otherwise. Because of the small class sizes, the community is very close. It also means you can't escape anyone. ISI doesn't do well when it comes to student-administration relations. Most of my peers resent them for treating us, teachers and parents like we're none the wiser, especially when money is involved.
The education and atmosphere at the International School is amazing. The IB Diploma Program is extremely stressful, but it makes getting into good schools so much easier. In addition, you always have the support of the staff to help you get through. I also believe that it is a place full of genuinely good people, and I wouldn't have wanted to spend my middle and high school years anywhere else. I have never felt out of place here, nor have I ever doubted that I was getting a great education. However, every school has its issues. My school is unorganized. If you aren't willing to change plans as they happen, it may not be the place for you. It is also very small, which means that the resources can be limited. Though, I truly believe it is a great place to learn. I feel extremely prepared going into college, I have had amazing opportunities to travel and learn foreign languages in a way that I wouldn't have anywhere else, and completing the rigorous program can be extremely rewarding.
I'm a current student at the International School of Indiana, and overall, I've had a horrible experience with my school. Our school has an average education that really isn't worth $18,000 a year. The few pros our school has in terms of it's academics, are language programs, math programs, and arts programs. I honestly have to do a lot of things by myself without the help of teachers.

In my opinion, we have a horrible administration, and poor parent involvement. Our school is currently financially "struggling" and with a head of school like David Garner, nothing will ever get done. Instead of replacing the trailers that we have in the parking lot, which are also our classrooms, the administration decided to paint the school yellow...

We also have horrible teachers. My previous French teacher messed up on my semester report cards twice, and she directly told me that I have "anger issues" and that I should "calm down".
I have been here for 4 month and I already feel a part of the family. I absolutely love this school. It was hard at first to adjust because it is not a regular school. The teacher are incredible, the food is delicious, and even though we work extremely hard, the atmosphere is always great!
The majority of teachers are wonderful and devoted, though there are a few who are completely mailing it in (and everyone seems to know and accept this for certain grades). The administration is a disaster, and honestly the key element holding the school back from being what it could be. Once a few key relics who have been hanging on since the early days and are essentially just waiting out the retirement clock finally cash out we can hopefully find a way to replace them with people who know what they are doing, show up to work most days, and are interested in not just chugging along on the easiest path, but pushing to make the school as great as it could be! Also, the "only twenty years old" excuse is wearing thin... it's actually kind of a long time in the scheme of establishing private schools in terms of their relative successes and resulting financial solvency.
Offers great academics, good opportunities for students, and solid teachers from around the world to educate a diverse student body. The only problems from my experience with the school are how stubborn administration is when it comes to listening to their students. Furthermore, the school has been slow to prove their reputation around the Indianapolis area and to selective colleges as a premier private High School in the city. These problems arise when they put little effort in explaining the curriculum and how rigorous it is to the public. Other than that, my high school experience was great due to the welcoming community and the strong relationships built with teachers and fellow students.
It's been a good experience. I've learned a lot, I'm trilingual, and I'm going into college with some extra credits under my belt from the International Baccalaureate Program.
Teachers are caring and generally invested in the student's education. They also listen and welcome feedback. They seem generally interested in becoming better teachers.
Students are encouraged to participate and help create their own extracurricular clubs.
We love the diversity of the teachers and their caring approach. We love the challenge of the curriculum as well as the way teachers and staff dedicate their time to helping students work to their full potential. We love that the school allows children access to extracurricular activities that they might not have in larger schools. Teachers and staff respect both the student and parent ideas. The administrative staff has been really helpful whenever we've had issues.
Because of its relatively small size, students have the opportunity to explore and accelerate in extracurricular activities that they would not even be able to experience at other schools.
We live in Indiana because of ISI. We host an international,student who lives with us in the US because of ISI. It truly is an amazing learning environment and curriculum.
At ISI, there is next to no bullying. Yes, it happens occasionally, as it does anywhere, but for the overwhelming majority of the time, there are no issues. This, in my opinion, is because of the small school community where everyone knows each other. If you bully someone, everyone will know about it, and, because there are so few kids, chances are you will have a friend or multiple in common who will call you out. I also think that, especially in senior year, the tensions can die down a lot due to the focus it takes to do well in the IB. For security, there are minimal security measures taken. The doors on all the buildings are locked and unlocked from the inside but there is no security officer. Also, the doors aren't always effective because the kids here are so polite that they will hold the door open for anyone without considering that it might be someone bad. The school is trying to emphasize the importance of not letting people that you don't know in, but there is still a long way to go. We also don't have an official school nurse, but rather the people who work at the front desk will handle simple procedures, such as administering ibuprofen. However, there are rarely any serious medical problems that require a trained nurse.
Start Your Review of International School of Indiana
While there are a good variety of clubs and sports, the school is still only just over 20 years old, and still has a lot of work to do in that aspect. While I understand that, for sheer lack of facilities and players we can't have a football or baseball team yet, so it is hard to expand the sports program at this point in time, I think the teams could stand to be a bit more selective. Because the school is small, it abides by the policy that everyone is accepted onto whatever sports team they want. While I'm all here for allowing kids who have never played sports to get a chance to learn and play in games, I think the programs should start cutting people who aren't serious and don't come to practices or open gyms. There is a lack of commitment across the board in sports, and it negatively affects the seasons. Like I said, I don't care if you don't know how to play, as long as you show up and work hard, I agree that everyone deserves an opportunity to learn, but people who don't show commitment should face some type of consequence. The clubs have similar issues. Everyone is accepted, and some of the clubs, like the Alliance Club, Timmy Club, Social Justice Club, etc. have been able to foster great student commitment and support, a lot of clubs lack commitment from students which can make it hard to give the club a clear direction or purpose.
I've been at ISI since I was in 6th grade, which is 5, nearly 6 years ago now. Before ISI I came from a fairly good public school, where I had been placed in a "high ability" class. Because of the title, there was often a stigma surrounding my classmates and I, so even in a big place I was secluded. Ergo, the small school community of ISI was actually already something I was used to, despite having gone to a much larger school beforehand. This may be why I like the community here, however, I know it isn't for everyone. In my grade, there are 60 kids. From grades 9-12 there are 170, and we are already outgrowing the campus and having to limit the number of people who can join each year. That being said, 170 kids for an entire high school is obviously very small. This means that everyone knows everything about each other, which can be a problem for some kids. However, I also think that ISI is more than its size. The school encourages open mindedness, acceptance, and global values. Personally, I never realized how fully these ideals had been ingrained in me until I started visiting colleges. I found myself drawn to the ones with a focus on global values, and opportunities to travel internationally. This was never something that I found important before coming to ISI. I think, that, if you go here, you really will change for the better, and see yourself become a more intelligent and open minded person.
Being an IB student is hard, and the teachers here recognize that. It helps that most have been involved with the IB for a number of years, and, occasionally, some have completed it themselves, such as the theatre teacher. Because of how rigorous the IB becomes in high school, particularly grades 11 and 12, teachers are often a bit more lenient and are more than willing to go the extra mile to help students. All of the teachers are more than knowledgeable in their respective fields, and some have had experience in the industries that they teach about. In middle school, my science teacher had worked as a chemist for IBM for years. In 5 years I've only ever had a couple of teachers that I felt were inadequate, and both were gone after a single year. I think the school does a very good job choosing teachers, and listening to student feedback when they feel that the teachers aren't doing all that they should be to encourage success.