International Community School Reviews

From the 6 years that I spent attending the International Community School, I can say with 100% confidence that if given the chance, I would definitely go back and do it all over again. There is no doubt that the classes are difficult and the teachers are challenging, but the positive school community and peer culture were by far more memorable to me.
This is truly an amazing establishment. All the teachers care about the students and are so passionate about the subjects that they teach. The small school size allows for many intimate connects to be formed, especially with programs such as Focus Week, where students and teachers take a week to go abroad or try a new activity, and International Night where students, parents and teachers come together to sample foods from all over the world. But, this school is extremely academically rigorous, and it's a big commitment. I think it is 100% worth it; the holistic approach to academics and the work load has pushed me to my limits, and made a better and stronger student.
While the International Community School may not have a traditional AP-style curriculum, the lessons you will learn and the people you will meet will change your life forever!
Start Your Review of International Community School
I attend the International Community School and it definitely lives up to its name. My school emphasizes the importance of fostering strong bonds within and beyond our community with our small grade sizes and programs such as Focus Week. Learning with the same grade of 65 students for the past 6 years has allowed me to form meaningful connections with each and every person in my grade; ICS has definitely become a home away from home. Besides the excellent academics, ICS provides students with an experience called Focus Week every year, when students travel all over the world to experience different cultures. I was fortunate enough to participate in the program for 6 years. Some of my most influential experiences include traveling to Spain and Greece, which allowed me to envelop myself in cultures and become a more worldly person.
ICS has a strong liberal arts and classical education program. The mathematics and science departments are lacking. The competitive and difficult curriculum is motivating but can be draining. Overall a pretty good experience.
The small school community of ICS has its advantages and disadvantages, but if you're willing to put in the work then ICS has huge benefits. Getting to know your teachers well and having them for multiple years is amazing, and the clubs and afterschool activities available to ICS students are fantastic. While the workload can be demanding, you get out of it what you put in.
A great school with a focus on the humanities, arts, and international studies. I've loved my time here. The teachers are awesome , but the ones I've had have mostly left (except for maybe the humanities and the art department). I'm sure the new teacher are equally great though.
ICS is a great school for extracurriculars with a few exceptional teachers and a lot of diversity. Focus Week and Art Day are both exciting opportunities for students. Unfortunately, the courses they force on you are often not useful to prepare you for adult life and there are several teachers who have little interest in teaching or treat their classrooms like dictatorships. The school also creates a toxic social environment where the only thing that bonds students together is a mutual depression.
Personally, it was a tough environment to be in because there's a lot of academic competition but if you like a challenge and being pushed to work harder then it's a great fit for you.
I loved my 6 years here, however I wish it would have a couple more classes; at the same time, I really appreciate its small size, so that probably is not possible.
ICS is an intense academic experience that helped me grow closer to the 40 or so other students I graduated with and form life-long friends, but is certainly not for everyone. Both the social and academic culture cause students to put a lot of pressure on themselves, which helps them succeed but also generates a lot of stress. I feel like I never would have learned as much going to another high school as I did at ICS, but it took me a while after graduating to learn how to really relax and not constantly have such high expectations of myself. I think this goes further than just being a personal case--most of my friends feel the same way.
I like the level of challenge that the school and its community imposes upon us, as well as the difficult curriculum. Teachers are very knowledgeable in their departments, however, with small school size comes a limited class selection.
I really loved the students at ICS. I took a lot of interesting classes as well. It was a rather intense workload, but I learned a lot of really valuable academic skills. Loved some of the teachers, not so crazy about others. Overall, I'm glad for the way it set me up for success in life.
I love the smallness of it that makes it SUPER easy to make friends. We are currently going through some strange management things right now though...
The curriculum is fine, though slightly anti-Christianity in english and history classes. The ICS stereotype is that students are given hours of homework each night, which isn't the case. Rather ICS students receive less nightly homework than other local high schools, rather we will get specific "waves" throughout the school year. Every few months there will be one week were it seems that every class has assigned a large paper/project at the same time, and being able to stay afloat during these specific waves (about 4-6 per year) is a characteristic of a student that truly belongs at ICS.
We have very little safety measures in this school, which is mainly due to the fact that we have almost no call for them. We have a safe campus, and such a close community that students are able to spot the beginnings of trouble in their peers before it has a chance to get out of control.
There are so many different clubs that there is a 100% chance that there is at least 1 club that appeals to a student.
Start Your Review of International Community School
The smallness of the overall attendance leads to a close-knit, friendly atmosphere. I, as an introvert, came in as a new kid in 8th grade, and made 15 friends in 2 months. Everyone knows everyone after just two years, and cliques overlap so much that its difficult to tell how each person is connected to someone else, to the point that a student with friendly personality can become friends with more than half of their grade easily. I only wish that ICS was kindergarten through 12th grade, I've enjoyed my time here so much.
Though the curriculum is amazing and engaging, and many of the teachers are super fun to be around, there are also many teachers whose teaching style could use much editing. Their many decades of teaching not only leads to an abundance of knowledge that makes answering questions a breeze, but also a specific--monotonous--college lecture-like style that they refuse to replace with a more engaging teaching style. Due to this, many teachers are not open to suggestions and expect the students to merely adjust to this learning style. Though, at the same time, this will likely prepare all students for future, actual college lectures they will soon be sitting through for years to come. This adds to the overall "college level expectations" that surrounds ICS in general.
Not really a problem due to location.