International Academy of Macomb Reviews

I appreciated the international academy of macomb for its push for students to reach higher standards and look at their education through a global minded lens. Furthermore, the culture of the International Academy of Macomb opened me to a new group of friends that I may not have met at another school.
Despite the overload of homework and late nights we get from our eight classes and required projects, I believe the IAM has greatly prepared me for college. We don't have any sports, but if you really want to join, you can do it at your home school and students are allowed to leave early to attend the practices and games. We don't have the strict restrictions set in most high schools, like no chewing gum or tardy counts. We are held at higher standards and treated as adults and so we act as such. Additionally, I have learned many skills regarding research, analysis, reflection, and evaluation through writing many essays. These skills are not only important in school, but also life in general. Ultimately, I've had a great experience at the IAM and I believe that all my hardwork throughout the past four years have paid off.
The course work is hard and rigorus. However, the teachers and learning environment in general is extremly rewarding in the college setting. The International Academy of Macomb (IAM) sets students up for success in college. You learn how to properly take notes and study for every test, how to deal with procrastination, how to deal testing anxiety, amd so much more that is not learned from any high school.
Start Your Review of International Academy of Macomb
Throughout my experiences at the IAM, I have enjoyed meeting a wide variety of people that are academically committed. Also, the diversity within the school has opened my mind to new ideas and helped me to effectively get out of my comfort zone in ways that I never imagined.
As I entered my Freshman year at The International Academy of Macomb, I wasn’t sure what to expect. It took me awhile to adjust to the homework, but I eventually figured it out. Over the last three years I have had some awesome teachers. These teachers have inspired me to do better, encouraged me to follow my passion and to never give up. I also had the opportunity to build friendships with great people. There is significant diversity in our school, but it’s great because we are all focused on the same thing - a great education. I’ve developed friendships with people from various backgrounds and was able to learn more about their culture. We may not have organized sports teams, but we have powderpuff and a charity softball tournament that allows us to have fun while playing against rival schools. The International Academy of Macomb is a great college prep school and it is a place to build lifelong friendships. I wouldn’t want to be anywhere else for high school.
The International Academy of Macomb is a place where everyone there has the amazing opportunity of getting to learn how to learn for yourself and how to develop skills necessary at any workplace. I like to explain it this way: at most high schools you memorize information and give it back in the same form, although this information can be very complex, there is normally little individual synthesis from students. At my school, students learn how to find credible information, how to break that information down with multiple perspectives, build it back up in a new way that reveals information pertinent to our understanding, and how to communicate that information precisely and effectively.
The academics at the school are fantastic, but the administration and diversity are severely lacking. It is easy to feel out of place if you don't fit the model of what is "popular" there.
A very mixed school, with a wide diversity of learning levels, as well as people, personalities, and cultures. It is a very well educated school, with a difficult programme that greatly prepares students for college. Regardless of being a small facility, it has the greatest staff and teachers selected to teach the rigorous course as well as many resources for each selected class.
AT the International Academy of Macomb, we have a very tightly bound student body of 500-600 students with each class making up 115-145 of them. Due to our small size, us Lady Leopards only have one sports team: powderpuff football. We have nearly a normal highschool experience at our annual powderpuff game every year, and most come out to support our team!
My experience at the International Academy of Macomb was like no other. Over my entire 4 years I was embraced by all the students and teachers and had found a place to make myself feel as if I was home. The academics of the school are very rigorous though but they were all well worth my time.
the academic prowess of the international academy of Macomb is beyond belief. This is not a school for those who do not give their all in their everyday lives. Whilst it pushes the student mentally and strains them students are able to develop a family like atmosphere between both classmates and students.
This school is challenging and prepares students for the rigorous college programs to come in their future's.
I love the IAM! The people are so friendly and we're all smart. We all value education and that's extremely important.
The IAM is where I finally found a community I felt like I could belong to. It is a place for like minded individuals to go to find serious students and staff with a love and appreciation for the world and discovering all it has to offer through IB. I was able to meet people from all different kinds of backgrounds, had opportunities that I wouldn't have gotten elsewhere- both academically and extra-curricular, and learned the value of a well rounded, open minded education.
Wonderful school with a caring staff and an environment to help you succeed and prosper! The students participate is so many clubs and other activities outside of school, but still manage to balance their time wisely with the rigor of the courses they chose through the IB program.
The International Academy of Macomb, or IAM High, as I like to call it, is a small high school sharing a campus with Chippewa Valley High School, but very much its own community. With about 100 students per class, every kid knew every other kid in their grade, and plenty of kids besides, by the end of four years. The school doesn't have its own sports, except Powderpuff once a year and a few clubs. We played sports, if we chose to, for our home school. It was only a little trouble for me. My coaches understood I couldn't make it on time to practice and worked with me after practice. Maybe they'd do the same for you. A big problem was the stress load. A few teachers have been there since the school's opening in 2008, but I feel the reason so many leave after 2 or 3 years is because of how much work they have to do. 20 or so students dropped out before junior year, and I definitely noticed a feeling of stress that rarely went away.
Incredible school. It's ranked so highly in the state and nation for a reason - it's something speical. All alumni I know have said that college was a complete breeze thanks to this school and its top-shelf staff. The only issue I would ever cite is the complete lack of sports teams. Still, the school actively aims to fill this hole in the high school experience by hosting numerous athletic events such as the "Winter Olympics" and the powderpuff games, as well as allowing students to play at their home district.
Start Your Review of International Academy of Macomb
Pros: The curriculum at is rigorous- you're writing college level papers which really prepares you for research projects. Because the school is smaller in size, you really get to know your peers and your teachers. You get a laptop to use for your school work. There's yearly traditions like Winter Olympics, Powederpuff Football, and the Softball Tournament.

Cons: Although you'll be better prepared for college than if you took AP classes, IB classes tend not to yield as much college credit as AP classes. (Especially at larger schools like U of M and MSU- Oakland and Wayne accept a lot). There also aren't tons of electives to choose from- only theater, art, drama, economics, foreign language, and music. There aren't the career elective classes like nursing that like you would see at a normal highschool. Also, because the school is so small, you have to do sports at your home district highschool (the school does have student council, NHS, NAHS, science olympiad etc)
This school, while not for all types of people, provides a unique insight to the surrounding world while also benefitting its students with a rigorous and stimulating education. The work is hard, but worth it for the amount of credits and scholarship/college opportunities that come with graduation. The Diploma Programme is equally challenging and beneficial, so if you or your student is focussed and wants a new type of challenge-based education, I would highly suggest this school.
I strongly believe that the IAM is an amazing school that provides a rigor that allows students to become truly prepared for college.