Indianola High School is an above average, public school located in Indianola, IA. It has 1,131 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 18 to 1. According to state test scores, 84% of students are at least proficient in math and 82% in reading.
Indianola High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A138 Students
- A88 Students
- B-73 Students
- B+69 Students
- B-61 Students
- A34 Students
- C+32 Students
- B24 Students
- B18 Students
- B17 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.23 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.23 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 61 responsesReport
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.29 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.29 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.29 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.41 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.41 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.41 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.46 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.46 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.46 responses
Schools like Indianola High School
- B+Carlisle High School
- Carlisle Community School District, IA
- 82 reviews
- A-Norwalk Senior High School
- Norwalk Community School District, IA
- 184 reviews
- C+Martensdale-St. Marys Junior/Senior High School
- Martensdale-St. Mary's Community School District, IA
- 18 reviews
- BSoutheast Polk High School
- Southeast Polk Community School District, IA
- 230 reviews
Indianola High School Reviews
My experience at Indianola High School has been a pretty average experience. I spent time in Cross Country on top of marching band and my classes during the fall. During the winter season, I played in the jazz band, pep band, and concert band. Our music department is doing so well and it is growing every year that goes by. I also spent time here doing some of the harder Advanced Placement classes. Which getting into these isn't really all that hard. You just talk to your counselor and they will ask you if you feel ok taking that class. And if that class isn't for you, you can drop it and change it for another class. I also had a wonderful time in our science department and learning about the human anatomy. I thought that the teachers in that department were great at teaching us the material and helping us put together what to study. This helped to further prepare for college in my years ahead of me.
I would like to see more AP classes and classes for college credit that satisfy degree requirements. There are handful of very talented engaging teachers but there should be more, and teachers that are not up to the chanllenge should be provided the opportunity to improve or move on. Sports are adequate but a struggle due to the size of the school. It is a smaller town and operates like a small town with all the good and bad that come along with it. There is the opportunity to attend half days at the local community college as a pet of a career program that provides an excellent opportunity to be exposed to a particular major prior to going to college.
Our motto is "One Tribe" and I actually feel that to be very fitting. Coming in as a freshmen in 2012 I was so scared. But all of the upper class men welcomed us with open arms and made us all feel like we were part of the school. They didn't make fun of us for being freshmen or the youngest. Instead, they guided us and gave us advice on how to spend our next four years. My favorite memory is when I was a freshmen and I attended my first high school assembly. The seniors were all so exciting and lively. The principal was so connected with us kids and I remember sitting on the edge of the bleacher waiting for the next joke or show they staff and students would put on. Another great story is of one of our teachers who is well known throughout the school. He always tells the best stories. In particular he told this hilarious story of how he accidentally dried his cat in the drier at a graduation ceremony two years ago. People were crying from laughing so hard and I thought maybe some of them would fall out of their seats. He got us all riled up and laughing and then proceeded to tell is he made that story up! The crowd lost it! This school has given me so many good memories, from assemblies to prom, it's never a dull moment here at Indianola High School!