Indian River Charter High School Reviews

I loved Charter! I made so many memories and met so many close friends that I still keep in contact with even years after graduating. The teachers there are so helpful and set you up for success while transitioning into college or whatever path of life you choose. I've always felt safe and had a blast! Charter was such a great place where I got to try new skills and enhance others.
While IRCHS didn't receive equal funding from the Indian River School Board during a majority of my time there, their academics and their Visual and Performing Arts program remained the best in the district. While I attended, I was given a very individualized education, in part because my homebase (a class of the same ~20 students that persists throughout all four years), and I was wonderfully prepared for college by the career and senior seminar classes. Now with more money available, the school can improve by further expanding its already great AP and VAPA programs and by increasing opportunities for students.
- Class of 2018 Alumnus
The teachers at Charter care about each and every individual student. All the teachers strive to help their students do whatever is needed for them to be successful. All of the staff is friendly and know the students by name. Individuality is encouraged from the students and is welcomed.
Start Your Review of Indian River Charter High School
Indian River Charter High School is a wonderful high school. I am proud to say that I got to attend IRCHS. The faculty are amazing and truly care about the students. The teachers put in a lot of hard work even after school hours which shows just how dedicated they are to the students and the school. IRCHS is also a Visual and Performing Arts school and the students work hard to put on shows for the community. All that this school does is truly amazing.
The school is kind of strict on the rules, which is good and bad. They weed out the kids who don't want to be at the school but their attendance policy is difficult to maintain for many people. When children are sick; many come to school afraid to be on attendance contract. Overall though the school gives a lot of resources such as access to computers and a college readiness class. The teachers are usually pretty helpful and willing to work with different learning styles. The school gives breaks and ample opportunities for dual enrollment. The students are really nice and mostly really dedicated to their grades. The teachers honestly care about you and want you to succeed. We host many fun and interesting events from movie nights to plays and concerts. We do not have many sports only classes with many sports, or golf. The school also host many exchange students and it's pretty cool to befriend them and see different cultures.
At charter, the experience you get is unlike the experiences you have at regular high schools. I was a student Freshman through Senior year and I can tell you. This school was my best choice. This school gave me many opportunities I would never have at the regular high school. I went to Germany, Hungary, Poland and New York and even China. These experiences I wouldn't trade for anything. The teachers are very observant and try their best to help keep kids engaged and on top of assignments. They also notice if students are having issues and will check up on them. There is amazing support at this school for anyone who is having issues. I had horrible anxiety and did not tell anyone. A teacher noticed the signs and got me help. I have never had so many teachers that care so much for the student's well being.
I love the freedom and opportunities they offer at IRCHS. It is a culturally diverse and accepting place where anyone and everyone can be comfortable with themselves and with the people around them. Something I would change at this school is that they are focused around the performing arts so there are no sports clubs or activities at the school. They should invest in other areas other than the performing and visual arts to appeal to more students.
I like the judge free vibe you get from Charter. You don't have cliques or "popularity" contests here, you truly get to be yourself. One thing I would change is the "doctors note only" policy where your absence is not excused unless you have a doctors note.
The academic standard that students are held to is below bare minimum. The motivation among students to do anything but cheat their way into passing drug tests is absolute zero. This school does not prepare anyone for life. If you like theatre, it may be worth it to attend as long as you're okay with graduating as an absolute idiot. The classes are really just teaching to the absolute lowest common denominator, which is incredibly low. UF is basically considered an Ivy at this school and that legitimately blows my mind. I was literally discouraged from applying to colleges of a high level because all anyone knows is FAU, FGCU, IRSC, and other absolute bottom of the dump tier schools. Music program is incredibly beginner with no upwards growth, dance program is mediocre at best, theatre is good but what is the point if the rest of your education means absolutely nothing. Overall, 0/10 would not recommend to anyone thanks
Indian River Charter High School is very diverse from any other school. It has an amazing performing arts, jazz, and art programs. The teachers and students easily create relationships resulting in better academic performances. What sets Charter apart from everyone else are the students. Students are honest and are always looking to better themselves and others. Overall if I had to go back and decide which high school I would attend, I would always choose Charter.
I enjoy the freedom that is available in this school, and all of the support from fellow students and teachers.
At the time Charter was fairly new and not organized. My classes were not challenging and teachers were average. I enjoyed the school because I made my own schedule and had a lot of free time.
Their vapa program is outstanding! At charter everyone is accepted for who they are which is amazing there is no discrimination on your race, sexuality, and gender. The teachers work great with the students. Our school is a safe environment because we have randomized drug test; and if the test is positive they just don't kick you out they help get help and have a second chance. My favorite thing about the school is the freedom, we can go off campus, and it makes it so much fun to go to a restaurant with friend during our breaks. We can create our own schedule at charter! We have homebases where we have to do chores once a week. There is about 20 kids in each homebase all in the same grade as you, homebase is basically a teen lounge. When I started they said this was going to be like your second family but I didn't believe them, trust me they were not kidding, these kids are my family.
I went to Indian River Charter High School all four years of high school. The school only cares about the students in the VAPA program. They don't prepare the students for college at all.
My experience at IRCHS has been quite something,being a performing arts school this school has pushed me to do things I otherwise wouldn't and because of it I have found a love for the arts. IRCHS give their students the freedom to express themselves freely allowing us to wear as we please within reason, while other schools would require you to wear a uniform of some kind. the one thing I don't like about the school is that their academics are lacking compared to other schools in the area. over all IRCHS is a good school that i am glad that I am attending.
I like when it give many scholarships to chose from. For some of the scholarship, does not require an essay.
I loved the support from the students, I always felt welcome and accepted at Charter. They have an amazing acting program and are dedicated to teaching the students well. What I would like to see changed are the age of the teachers, many of them are very young and can sometimes be less experienced. Homebase is a great environment but students can still be stuck in cliques.
Start Your Review of Indian River Charter High School
My experience at the Indian River Charter High School has been overwhelmingly positive. Although not like the traditional high school experience, this school has given me so much more opportunity than any public school has ever given.
Amazing performances, allowing students to reach their full potential, although low state/fed funding this school makes the most out of the little we receive
I liked how there were breaks and that the students can go off the campus. I don't like how the school only cares about the drama department.