Independence Senior High School Reviews

I love Independence, the town, the school. Many people will tell you they can't seem to find anything to do, but that is far from the truth. You just have to dig deep and look for opportunities.
The education is not wide ranged and there aren't alot of options in what classes you take. Teachers are helpful and nice though.
Independence Senior High School is a pretty decent place to get an education. I have attended throughout my entire high school career and will be graduating May of 2018. Many of the teachers are willing to help kids out, and there is a large amount of graduates who further themselves in either military or college experience. A downfall, however, seems to be the ever-rotating administration. As a senior, I have experienced two different counselors assigned to me, as well as three different principals throughout my years. A more fixed staff might help.
Start Your Review of Independence Senior High School
Everyday feels like you are welcomed because of the awesome office staff! They do good to make sure we are ok but not everyone may agree with me.
The people are enjoyable, but the food and certain other things could be fixed. There is a lot of focus on academics and clubs and sports however there is no focus on college readiness. Yes there are college classes you can take and workshops for the act but other than that there is no help to prepare you for college. The facility is nice however some of the staff that run it are not the same. When i walk into a classroom i want to learn something not just have a teacher give me a packet and tell me to do it when i know nothing about it.
i personally was not in that many extra groups. I did participate in a program called PUPPS ( Peers Understanding Peer Problems). it was extremely fun and outgoing. I was able to mentor a younger student that was having difficulties in classes. Its a program that really makes you feel needed among your peers.
i never had a dull moment here at this school. There were plenty of things that i could have done to be a better student. There's not a thing that i would change about how it was ran or how the teachers taught.
My review of the teachers at independence high school would be that they are almost like a family. They are all basically on the same page with each other. There is never any drama from the group that they put out in front for the students to see.
I feel mostly safe. But sometimes the teachers are bullies.
Most of the clubs (Not including KAYS) are jokes.
I enjoyed my time at this school, both the faculty and students were great. We had few internal issues between students and faculty.
The teachers are willing to meet with you outside of class but usually only in the mornings before school. As a whole they care about their students and want them to succeed. The teachers are always getting involved in activities such as bulldog bark and support all the clubs and activities.
What makes this school unique is without a doubt the music programs. Larry Annable is a fantastic teacher and choir director and I have learned a lot from him! Mrs. Shelton also knows what she is doing with the band program! The number of students in band have increased each year since she arrived and she genuinely cares for the students! She makes the band a family and teaches many life lessons along with the music skills.
Most teachers do not care for their students outside or inside of class. I have been in multiple classes when a student asked for help and the teacher told them to figure it out and refused to help themselves. I've also have had teachers who didn't care to actually teach but just let the students pass. We have acquired a few new teachers in the past two years who have been really awesome. They know what they are teacher and are willing to help anyone(even kids who are not their students). And are willing to stay after school and help. However the majority of teachers at IHS would not be considered good teachers.
There are very few times that I've felt unsafe at Independence High School.
At Independence High School, our extracurricular activities are prioritized and well organized.
We have a very caring and loving facility. Yes we have our ups and downs in the school but overall it has been a good experience attending this school and receiving an above average education.
Start Your Review of Independence Senior High School
Independence High School is a good school, it's better than most schools in Southeast Kansas. We are very educated and fortunate to accept the education that is provided for us.
I wish I could attend IHS forever. Everyone in the school is a big family.
Our school does everything they can to prevent "accidents" and bullying from happening, and even though some things don't makes sense or seem incredibly unreasonable, most students do their best to follow and keep the rules