Independence Senior High School
- INDEPENDENCE, KS
grade B minus
Overall Niche Grade
- Academicsgrade B minus
- Diversitygrade B+
- Teachersgrade B minus
- College Prepgrade C+
- Clubs & Activitiesgrade B
- Health & Safetygrade B minus
- Administrationgrade C minus
- Sportsgrade A minus
- Foodgrade C
- Resources & Facilitiesgrade B minus
Independence Senior High School is a public school located in INDEPENDENCE, KS. It has 584 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 13 to 1. According to state test scores, 37% of students are at least proficient in math and 37% in reading.
Independence Senior High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Percent Proficient - Reading
Percent Proficient - Math
Average Graduation Rate
No data available
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- grade B minus92 Students
- grade A83 Students
- grade B+81 Students
- grade A minus76 Students
- grade C+56 Students
- grade B46 Students
- grade C+33 Students
- grade B26 Students
- grade B25 Students
- grade A22 Students
View Homes Near Independence Senior High School
Note: School map boundaries may have changed for the current school year so please contact your school district to verify school assignment for your child.
Living in the Area
Overall Niche Grade
- Cost of Livinggrade A minus
- Good for Familiesgrade B minus
- Housinggrade B
Median Household Income
Median Home Value
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
grade B minus
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school. 8 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there. 8 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 22 responses
- Participating in sports and pep rallys.27%
- Bulldog Bark (Dancing competition between sports)14%
- Basketball games9%
- Football games9%
- Spirit Week9%
- Baseball games5%
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive. 11 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy. 11 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic. 11 responses
Average Teacher Salary
Teachers in First/Second Year
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons. 11 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students. 11 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom. 11 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
$10,974 / year
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in. 13 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need. 13 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations. 13 responses
Schools like Independence Senior High School
- grade C+Cherryvale Middle/High School
- Cherryvale Unified School District, KS
- Rating 3.34 out of 5 44 reviews
- grade B minusNeodesha High School
- Neodesha Unified School District, KS
- Rating 4.24 out of 5 33 reviews
- grade B minusField Kindley High School
- Coffeyville Unified School District, KS
- Rating 3.55 out of 5 33 reviews
Independence Senior High School Reviews
Rating 3.41 out of 5 70 reviews
Selecting a category below will take you to another page
Independence Senior High school was the singlehandedly most amazing high school experience I've known of compared to my friends from out of town. Our diversity and inclusivity is great, respect towards teachers and staff is fantastic, and the overall education system and school setup in general is outstanding. I may not have done great in high school, bu that had nothing to do with the quality of this incredible school district. My teachers and counselors did everything that they could to help me and I should've taken advantage of that when I had the chance to. I thank everyone who works for or who has ever worked for Independence Senior High and pray that current and future students don't take opportunities like this for granted.
Our Senior High School is mostly a positive experience. I feel that our teachers are extremely helpful, and care a lot about our education. Throughout the counseling department we have several adults that hope to see us succeed during as well as after high school. We have a lot of help with scholarship opportunities that our administration sends us to help with money. The entire school has a positive and happy vibe that helps all of our fantastic students with the motivation to be more optimistic and successful. This carries over into our sports programs where we have coaches and a support staff in our teammates as well as fans that makes us as athletes ecstatic to compete. Overall I will have a lasting effect from the many fantastic teacher, classes, students, administration, and sports. I would rate Independence High School as the best high school not only in Montgomery County, but in the entire state in atmosphere and happiness.
Independence Senior High School is a great place to go to high school, especially if you are interested in music. The music/drama department is outstanding; they are known for them. There are a lot of opportunities to join a club or sport. However, there are students in the hallways that seem unsafe for the school environment. Staff will call students, that are clean and do not illegal activities, in and drug test them, while there are many other students, who do illegal things, roaming the halls that don't get tested.