Independence Senior High School is an above average, public school located in Independence, KS. It has 601 students in grades K-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 14 to 1. According to state test scores, 22% of students are at least proficient in math and 37% in reading.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A60 Students
- B-51 Students
- B+46 Students
- A41 Students
- B-37 Students
- B+22 Students
- B15 Students
- B15 Students
- B14 Students
- B+13 Students
Note: School map boundaries may have changed for the current school year so please contact your school district to verify school assignment for your child.
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.7 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.7 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 17 responsesReport
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.10 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.10 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.10 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.10 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.10 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.10 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.12 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.12 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.12 responses
Independence Senior High School Reviews
Independence Senior High School is a pretty decent place to get an education. I have attended throughout my entire high school career and will be graduating May of 2018. Many of the teachers are willing to help kids out, and there is a large amount of graduates who further themselves in either military or college experience. A downfall, however, seems to be the ever-rotating administration. As a senior, I have experienced two different counselors assigned to me, as well as three different principals throughout my years. A more fixed staff might help.
The people are enjoyable, but the food and certain other things could be fixed. There is a lot of focus on academics and clubs and sports however there is no focus on college readiness. Yes there are college classes you can take and workshops for the act but other than that there is no help to prepare you for college. The facility is nice however some of the staff that run it are not the same. When i walk into a classroom i want to learn something not just have a teacher give me a packet and tell me to do it when i know nothing about it.
What makes this school unique is without a doubt the music programs. Larry Annable is a fantastic teacher and choir director and I have learned a lot from him! Mrs. Shelton also knows what she is doing with the band program! The number of students in band have increased each year since she arrived and she genuinely cares for the students! She makes the band a family and teaches many life lessons along with the music skills.