Independence Junior Senior High School is a public school located in Independence, IA. It has 676 students in grades 7-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 15 to 1. According to state test scores, 81% of students are at least proficient in math and 67% in reading.
Independence Junior Senior High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A57 Students
- A51 Students
- B+41 Students
- B27 Students
- B17 Students
- B-15 Students
- B-11 Students
- A10 Students
- B-10 Students
- B9 Students
Note: School map boundaries may have changed for the current school year so please contact your school district to verify school assignment for your child.
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.8 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.8 responses
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.8 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.8 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.8 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.9 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.9 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.9 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.9 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.9 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.9 responses
Schools like Independence Junior Senior High School
Independence Junior Senior High School Reviews
Independence Junior/Senior High School resides in a small community, therefore everyone can get to know each other well. Teachers know their students, and students all know each other which keeps the community fairly tight-knit. The school spirit at Independence is impressive with big turnouts at each sporting event and other extracurricular activities. Because of the small size of classes, teachers are more readily able to help students when they have a question or are struggling. Classes are ninety minutes long in high school, which allows for teaching time and also study time for students to hopefully not have any homework. This school district is nice to be apart of if one is searching for a smaller community size.
Great performance arts program. Disorganized and foolish leadership. Poor teachers, bad science department, little to no student representation.
I've lived in Independence all my life, so all I've known is the mustang community. When I first started junior high we were in a building that was 63 years old, and it definitely showed its age. After a heavy rain the back field would flood, because we were so close to the river. During that heavy rain the ceiling would leak to the point we would need buckets to catch the rain. The town passed a new Jr/Sr high school, and was built my freshman year. The school itself is now a beautiful building, a very costly building about 27 million dollars. The community is great, and I love how we can all come together to support an amazing school district.