Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy Reviews

This is a place that will change your life. You will meet the most incredible friends, mentors, and teachers. For a while it may seem crazy stressful, but not so much more than college. The hardest part of the IMSA experience, and it is quite the experience, is leaving.
It's not a coincidence that so many entrepreneurs have graduated from IMSA ( paypal, netscape,
palantir, yelp, okcupid, YouTube, etc). The school encourages thinking outside the box and using critical thinking to solve hard problems. You aren't afraid to be smart here. Being smart is cool. How many high schools can say that in America?
I loved going to IMSA! The academics are very advanced and I enjoyed feeling challenged, which I didn't feel at my previous school. Lots of opportunities to explore whatever areas of STEM you are interested in - and if it's not in the long list of course offerings, you can do an independent study. Teachers love their fields - most are professionals with industry experience- and they just want you to follow your passions and explore STEM.
Start Your Review of Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy
i had a very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very bad time.
IMSA started from a truly visionary idea in the early 1980s. Now, under increasingly narcissistic leadership has gone from breaking all the rules to using the rules and buzz words to make what is increasingly fascist seem innovative. The school's recent announcement to offer feepaying places to the super-rich in the name of 'diversity' underscores a tremendous shift in values from community strength to individual power.
I think this school is very good. The teachers are knowledgeable, the administration is improving on many levels, and student life is very interactive. The opportunities at IMSA are great and offer something to everyone (clubs, research, etc.). I think everyone eligible and interested should apply. The only thing to look out for is stress, especially if you are coming from an "easier" school like I was.
As a residential high school, it is above average in the academics and diversity. However, with that it brings along a great deal of stress and some aspects of the school are somewhat toxic.
IMSA is a very difficult institution and challenges its students academically and socially. Even then, despite all the stress I had to go through in this school, it has been the best three years of my life and I will not trade it for anything. This school encouraged me to believe in my capabilities and my potential to make a difference in the world.
I enjoyed my three years at the Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy. It was lot of fun, yet the course was very arduous as well. I believe it prepared me well for college, and if I had a chance to do it again, I would.
IMSA claims to offer a unique and enlightening learning environment for math and science. While the claims are true, IMSA overloads its students with too much homework, while also expecting them to be involved with as many extracurriculars as they possibly can. On top of this, there have been a growing amount of assaults from adults (Residential staff) on campus, with no repercussions for the staff members. The school does a terrible job of ensuring students' happiness but definitely excels in magically producing funds for its prized IN2 Lab, advertising, and new signs (?)

What I've learned in my last two years at the school is simply this: You come to IMSA for the academics, but ultimately stay for your friends. They are what get you through the school year and you will most likely keep in contact for a long time.
As a recent grad, I felt like I learned a lot about myself by being away from home in such an immersive environment. Admin could be much more receptive to student and staff opinion, though.
I had a great experience at IMSA. It opened so many opportunities for me during my time there and post-graduation. Developing independence, life-skills, and exposure to advanced courses prepares you for the real world
Attending IMSA has helped me to grow so much as a student. I've only been attending for one year and feel so prepared for college. I feel that I've grown in my awareness of other cultures outside of my own and gained respect and appreciation for them. I've learned how to think and seek help for myself, which is so important for the future. IMSA offers so many opportunities for its students to be prepared for the future, best decision I ever made was to attend this school!!!
Wonderful experience! I loved going to IMSA for the past three years. Although the academics are very challenging, and many late nights will be spent studying, the teachers care about the students and want to see them grow and succeed. The opportunities here are endless, including a wonderful SIR (Student Inquiry Research) program which allows the students to spend their Wednesdays researching. The school has also had many new renovations, including new science labs, study areas, and much more. The school is also so diverse, and students are encouraged to share their opinions and life stories. What a wonderful place to study!
It is a challenging school but there is a ton of work. There are also lots of clubs so it is very difficult to balance homework, clubs/activities, and social/physical health.
The academics and diversity at IMSA stood out to me, however , facilities and food could use some work.
I really value the program that my school has academically, however, their residential life can be difficult due to racial and gender inequality issues. Becuase of this, the classroom situation can be tense when something dramatic happens and much of the time cliques are based on race. While administration does sometimes help, it seems only to be when social media has played a role and the press takes an interest. Usually very little is done when it comes to personal problems between 5 or fewer people. While the school is claimed to be progressive, and in many ways it is, there are still some areas where IMSA can work on not being bias.
Start Your Review of Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy
I've had an amazing experience here. The common thing with most people here is you come here for the education but you stay here for the people. I enjoy the multitude of opportunities to be immersed in various cultures.
Most academically challenged I've ever felt. Honestly, the most influential 3 years of my life. I recommend anyone to apply.
IMSA provides a very challenging HS experience while mimicking college better than any other. It's small, residential and has college-like curriculum and scheduling that prepares students for higher education. Despite a lack of grade inflation, students generally have the support to succeed and excel in this environment.