Hurricane High School is an above average, public school located in Hurricane, WV. It has 1,237 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 17 to 1. According to state test scores, 25% of students are at least proficient in math and 44% in reading.
Hurricane High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- B294 Students
- A-224 Students
- A-67 Students
- C+66 Students
- A+57 Students
- B-51 Students
- B-37 Students
- C+33 Students
- A-29 Students
- A+22 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.14 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.14 responses
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.14 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.14 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.14 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.20 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.20 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.20 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.20 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.20 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.20 responses
Hurricane High School Reviews
Hurricane High school isn't quite the kind of place that makes people say "I can't wait to send my kid there!" It's not that it's an awful school: it's just that it's a very stereotypical American high school. And the stereotypical American high school isn't the type of place where everyone wants to spend their days. The curriculum is pretty standard: English, social studies, chemistry, biology, algebra, trigonometry, etc. Students have access to the usual counselors and career planners. But there's nothing extra: nothing special: nothing new and exciting to try to make the world (or at least the school) a better place.
There are so many academic opportunities at Hurricane High School! They offer dozens of online classes, several AP and Dual-credit courses, and a few Marshall University courses.
Hurricane was a pretty good experience from an academic standpoint. Aside from a campus filled with litter, water issues, and questionable spending decisions, there's many genuinely talented and passionate students. From award winning bands and show choirs, to sports teams who've reached and won championships. Despite the typical griping of high school students (I'm guilty of it admittedly) the school is actually a good place, one of the better High Schools in West Virginia from my own observations.