grade B minus
Overall Niche Grade
- Academicsgrade B minus
- Diversitygrade A minus
- Teachersgrade C+
- College Prepgrade B minus
- Clubs & Activitiesgrade B
- Health & Safetygrade C minus
- Administrationgrade C
- Sportsgrade A
- Foodgrade C
- Resources & Facilitiesgrade B minus
Huntington High School is a public school located in Huntington, WV. It has 1,656 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 16 to 1. According to state test scores, 18% of students are at least proficient in math and 51% in reading.
Huntington High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Percent Proficient - Reading
Percent Proficient - Math
Average Graduation Rate
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- grade B minus402 Students
- grade A minus193 Students
- grade B+90 Students
- grade A+84 Students
- grade A minus70 Students
- grade C54 Students
- grade C+39 Students
- grade A minus39 Students
- grade C38 Students
- grade A+37 Students
Note: School map boundaries may have changed for the current school year so please contact your school district to verify school assignment for your child.
Living in the Area
grade B minus
Overall Niche Grade
- Cost of Livinggrade B+
- Good for Familiesgrade C+
- Housinggrade C+
Median Household Income
Median Home Value
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
grade C minus
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school. 17 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there. 17 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 56 responses
- Homecoming football game16%
- Senior Skip Day14%
- Spirit Week14%
- Senior Color day13%
- Pep rallies9%
grade A minus
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive. 20 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy. 20 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic. 20 responses
Average Teacher Salary
Teachers in First/Second Year
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons. 22 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students. 22 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom. 22 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
$11,849 / year
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in. 30 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need. 30 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations. 30 responses
Schools like Huntington High School
- grade B minusCabell Midland High School
- Cabell County Schools, WV
- Rating 3.46 out of 5 181 reviews
- grade BPaul G. Blazer High School
- Ashland Independent Schools, KY
- Rating 3.73 out of 5 124 reviews
- grade B minusIronton High School
- Ironton City School District, OH
- Rating 3.74 out of 5 47 reviews
- grade B minusBoyd County High School
- Boyd County Public Schools, KY
- Rating 3.5 out of 5 103 reviews
Huntington High School Reviews
Rating 3.34 out of 5 186 reviews
Selecting a category below will take you to another page
I didn’t enjoy my experience with Huntington High School, Some teachers at this school seemed very uneducated and some teachers were very rude, I would like to see better teachers here, also what I would like to see change in this school is the students, the teachers and their parents need to bring back discipline, like whooping, because some of these children are getting out of control, suspending them doesn’t do any damage, I get body shamed all the time at this school because I’m overweight, and I’ve tried losing but it doesn’t work for me, they never understand my struggle, they need to learn how to be respectful and have better attitudes towards others!
I really love Huntington High! It has a lot of courses to choose from and all of my teachers are exceptional! The amount of choices is a little overwhelming, but it's good to have so many choices to find yourself. I do have a couple of friends who have not-so-great teachers, but the ones I have are amazing.
I will say this, the reason I am not giving this the terrible rating is because there are some teachers that genuinely try to go above and beyond, such as the debate teacher. But, this school overall is very bad, especially in terms of the school culture. Many students will tell you, "oh its because of racism and hatred of inner city kids that people say Huntington High is bad", but no it is really bad. First of all quite literally every time I go into the bathroom there is someone vaping or a drug deal occurring (I wish this was an exaggeration). I legitimately do not feel safe here, for example, after encountering a drug deal which occurred I had to run down the hallway back to class whilst being followed by one of the people involved within the deal. In addition to this in a lot of classes you have to teach yourself practically, however credit is due where it is due, there is a great diversity in classes offered here and some teachers are awesome. But the main problem is cultural.