Hunter Huss High School is a public school located in Gastonia, NC. It has 1,135 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 16 to 1. According to state test scores, 22% of students are at least proficient in math and 26% in reading.
Hunter Huss High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- B+106 Students
- A-63 Students
- B63 Students
- A+62 Students
- B-54 Students
- A+52 Students
- B49 Students
- B49 Students
- C46 Students
- B+45 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.8 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.8 responses
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.10 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.10 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.11 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.15 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.15 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.15 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.17 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.17 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.17 responses
Hunter Huss High School Reviews
Hunter Huss is not the school people make it out to be. To those on the outside, it looks unstructured, unsafe, and overall a bad place to be. However, this is all untrue. Great things are happening at Huss: our graduation rate is currently around 88%, last year's senior class raised over $6 million in scholarships, our sports teams are very competitive, our new CTE programs are wonderful, and our fines arts programs are flourishing! Being a student myself, I have witnessed firsthand the improvements taking place and am quite excited for the future of our school! Our teachers here are amazing and are always available to help students in need! Overall, Hunter Huss is a great school with an amazing staff helping its students grow and give them a chance to succeed in our contemporary world!
I love that Hunter Huss offeres its students the opportunity to take on rigorous IB classes. I also like the diversity of the school and it gives every child the chance to branch out and meet new people. Other than the academics the best thing about Huss is the connections you make with your teachers! They are beyond helpful and they give you life lessons as well. All the staff is there to help you succeed and prosper! Over the past four years I have had the best experience at Hunter Huss and I've grown so much due to the help and knowledge that I've gained from my peers and staff! It was the best school experience ever!
Hunter Huss is a great school! It is the only International baccalaureate school in all of Gaston County. I strongly believe that the school is not funded enough, sadly. Hunter Huss is the only high school in Gaston county with out a track. The GCS board does not give us enough recognition. I think that some of the board members are scared to even come evaluate the school,even people in the community are scared to visit or let their children attend the school because of where the school is located and rumors roaming around Gastonia. The school is given bad publicity. If something bad happens they put that certain thing in the paper but when something good happens it won't be published. Besides that Hunter Huss offers CTE programs, AP, and IB classes. There are lots extra curricular activities offered. Our wrestling team won 2A champions for the 2014-2015 school year. I have seen many students graduate and become very successful. There are students here that have broken records for example Seth jones broke the Gaston County career goal record with 103 goals. Over all Hunter Huss is a great school we definitely need some remodeling and other repairs. If there is anything wrong with school I'd blame the GCS board, but of course that is my own opinion. I hope this gave you and idea what the school is like.