Howell Cheney Technical High School is a public school located in Manchester, CT. It has 653 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 10 to 1. According to state test scores, 17% of students are at least proficient in math and 42% in reading.
Howell Cheney Technical High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A48 Students
- B42 Students
- B-26 Students
- B23 Students
- B-21 Students
- B-20 Students
- B+17 Students
- C+15 Students
- B-12 Students
- B11 Students
Note: School map boundaries may have changed for the current school year so please contact your school district to verify school assignment for your child.
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- We don't have enough responses to know if students agree that they feel safe at their school.Take our survey
- We don't have enough responses to know if students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.Take our survey
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.6 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.6 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.6 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.9 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.9 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.9 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.9 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.9 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.9 responses
Schools like Howell Cheney Technical High School
- C-A. I. Prince Technical High School
- Public School
- Hartford, CT
- 132 reviews
- C+E. C. Goodwin Technical High School
- Public School
- New Britain, CT
- 68 reviews
- B-East Windsor High School
- East Windsor School District, CT
- 70 reviews
- CNew Britain High School
- New Britain School District, CT
- 421 reviews
Howell Cheney Technical High School Reviews
Cheney is not for the fainthearted. I attended the school from the 9th-12th grade. The academics are of course top notch and prepare you decently for college courses, but you should study HARD to keep up everything. Only a handful of teachers are more than accommodating and open to meeting with students during their free time. You must take the initiative to do well at Cheney, though. You can't be embarrassed to ask questions when you're confused. Sensitivity has no place in the classroom, or at Cheney in general. The school has a very competitive atmosphere- particularly when applying for colleges. That being said, students are mostly amicable. Sports are big Cheney, and we generally do ok.
I don't really like academics in school but I do really like the Diesel program at Cheney Tech! No other technical high school in the state offers Diesel. The diesel program does the bus inspections for our school other technical schools in our area and we also worked side by side with the National Guard here in CT; working on thier humvees, trucks and generators. I've learned a valuable trade and have gotten some great experience through the program. I also did work based learning where I was placed as a diesel mechanic at a local shop since I was a junior. So, I'm already working in my trade and will have a full-time job when I graduate.
Shop is great! Academics can be good, but on the most part not so much. Teachers aren't nice and understanding except for a select few. It would be nice to have teachers that remembered what it was like to be a teenager.