Howard W. Blake High School & Magnet Program Reviews

An exciting school to go to. I've met some of the most talented and interesting people in my life in Howard Blake High School. The magnet programs are amazing, I'm personally part of the Chorus program and Mr. G always does a good job at making a challenging program for us to enjoy.
I love the magnet program at Blake High. I am in both the orchestra and chorus program; both directors are absolutely amazing. One common complaint about our school is that we have bad academics and/or teachers. Blake has a few abysmal teachers, just like any school; however, there are a few amazing teachers that have changed me as a student and a person. Additionally, there are a plethora of dual enrollment opportunities at HCC and USF.
I am very proud to attend THE Howard W. Blake High School. As a magnet student, my experience may be different than others. But from my 2 years of experience I have found the pros and cons of my school. On a good note, certain teachers are preparing me rigorously for college classes by teaching just like a professor, the availability of AP and dual enrollment classes makes my merge to college easy, plus the school culture is amazing. The students at Blake take pride in our school. On the other hand, an improvement Blake could make would be some of the administrative such as guidance counselors. I understand the work load placed on them, but the wait time for a simple edsby response is a little uncalled for. Overall, I’m proud to be a yellow jacket. Blake may have its faults, but what school doesn’t?
Start Your Review of Howard W. Blake High School & Magnet Program
Howard W. Blake High School has many programs for the visual and performing arts taught by instructors who are very experienced in their craft. These incredible teachers work hard to better their students at their craft as well as provide them with a multitude of opportunities to work in professional settings, preparing them for what it is like to have a career in the arts.
Howard W. Blake High School is diverse, creative, and full of talent! Here, students are not only able to be themselves, but express themselves in any way possible. We are able to get a great education along with develop stronger passions for what we love to do best.
I’m a freshman at Blake right now and it’s been going pretty smoothly. There are a lot of stairs but it’s not that bad.
I loved the clubs and community at Blake High. The teachers always went above and beyond to see their students succeed in their majors,
Blake is an amazing school to express your talents . Being a yellow jacket is a great opportunity to feel apart of a family and become more ioen to different possibilities and observe ithers talents while displaying your own .
Blake's Magnet program is outstanding. The teachers are all so kind and truly want the best for their students. Through the years I have attended, my knowledge of music has grown so much and that is because of the amazing teachers!
Blake High School is a good school for the arts and the magnet program. Very well known for high success rate in each program. Academically it could be stronger and the culture between magnet and traditionally students is very poor. Overall Blake is an ideal school for those pursuing art fields
Blake high school was a diverse community that allowed students to express themselves freely and learn in an awesome place. The faculty genuinely cared about the students and how they could strive to teach them better. However the food wasn't that great, most high schools don't have great food but that's ok.
The thing I loved most about Blake was the students and how passionate they were about their art and how the teachers took notice and encouraged them.
My school experience was filled with diversity, and love, and music. But I do wish my school was more organized.
The magnet program at Blake is amazing. Hands down to all of the teachers and administrators that are involved in the magnet program, if only the rest of the school and administration could be at this same level. Most of the teachers are well-educated and interested in what is best for their students, the same cannot be said for the administration. Though the school only continues to grow, it is the poor administration that is holding Blake (as well as its students) back from reaching the fullest potential.
Compared to other public high schools it was smaller and not as much drama. I was in the theater program and I think that was good for me. The students there a lot more excepting. They’re not very good at communicating sometimes but overall it was better than a lot of other public schools
I just graduated from Blake as class of 2018 and my time there was very wild. Overall the school was great and it’s performing arts program is phenomenal whatved your major is you will love every second of it! Also we are a historically African American high school so it was very cool to be there, and of course it is very diverse. The band was always putting on an amazing performance at the football games and pep rally’s! And our Blake theater always had a great show, they also went to states this year for the show called Side Show. On a side note you may want to bring your own lunch because I did not enjoy the food or the lunch ladies attitude. Everything else about the school is very good.
Blake was able to bring me incredible opportunities within my area of passion that I wouldn’t be able to find anywhere else. Very lucky to have had the opportunity to go to school here.
Start Your Review of Howard W. Blake High School & Magnet Program
I liked the teachers I had at Howard W. Blake High School who helped me prepare for college and beyond. I did not like the administration.
It's an innovative school that helps kids excel at expanding their love of the arts. We don't have much funding for some programs, but we are resilient and do what we can with what we have.
I absolutely loved Blake High School. Being able to express myself freely was never a question in this accepting environment. It was a great place to express individual talents and interests whole still having access to, what I would consider, a quality education! I feel as though, having access to the arts -even if you aren't actively involved In them- is a great way to relieve stress and open your mind.

I do wish the school would've helped students better prepare for college. I sought out many great teachers who helped me personally, but on an institutional level there wasn't as much college preparation as I would have liked to see.