Houston High School Reviews

I've attended Houston High School since Junior year. So far, its been nothing less than excellent. Houston High challenged me and has made me start working to my best potential. I'd like to see more diversity in the school and more school activities for the students.
Houston High School excels in academics. We're one of the best schools in the nation and have one of the highest averages for ACT scores state wide. Putting academics aside though, Houston is a very community environment. Each individual student has their own unique ways, but we all pull together as one to make our school the best it can be. We all have extreme school pride, and it shows when we're all cheering in the stands for our football team, or cheering the band on at their competitions. We're a family, a team, a huge group of friends, we are Houston
Houston is a fantastic school to challenge yourself academically. I strongly encourage your involvement in their arts programs- choir band or orchestra (they're all great)- and their sports teams all do really well. They run neck and neck to their private school counter parts. We have many AP and Dual classes that are phenomenal. It is a lucky resource that students in Germantown have, it doesn't work for everyone, but it has been good to me.
Start Your Review of Houston High School
Houston High School is a great learning environment. The teachers and administrators are extremely supportive of the students. There are lots of opportunities for extracurricular involvement.
Houston is a VERY clique-y school. I like to call it a free private school because of the higher test scores and wealthy students. Many of the teachers seem to not care about student performance and learning, but rather just give busy work. However there are a number of excellent teachers, particularly in the foreign language department, which is not given near as much credit as it should get.
My experience with Houston has been amazing. The school is very diverse and accepting. Teachers do everything in their power to help you and learning is the main goal.
My academic experience at Houston High School has been rigorous, challenging, and stimulating. A few of my teachers have not met my high expectations, but most of them have been able to teach me their subjects thoroughly and clearly. Also, most of my teachers have greatly prepared me for test such as the ACT and AP exams.
On the other hand, I have not particularly enjoyed the atmosphere of the school. The majority of the students are from upper middle-class families and enjoy many luxuries that people from other parts of Memphis do not. This has been evident throughout my high school career in the attitudes of my peers. Those who work hard to make themselves appear "cool" are often in charge of school organizations and clubs, which means that they influence much of what happens at school.
Overall, my experience at Houston High School has not been especially amazing, but I believe I am very well-prepared to succeed in college.
It is a decent school that gives plenty of opportunities for top students to succeed. The campus is nice, and the teachers are very cooperative in making sure you understand material.
HOUSTON HIGH SCHOOL IS A SCHOOL THAT IS VERY EASY TO FEEL WELCOMED IN. SINCE THE FIRST DAY OF FRESHMAN YEAR, I WAS WELCOMED WITH OPEN ARMS AND NEVER ONCE HAVE FELT EXCLUDED FROM ANYTHING GOING ON AT THE SCHOOL. CLUBS LIKE MUSTANG MENTORS, REALLY DO A GREAT JOB OF HELPING ALL OF THE FRESHMEN GET A FEEL OF WHAT HIGH SCHOOL IS REALLY ABOUT. MANY TEACHERS OFFER MANY DIFFERENT CLASSES OR TUTORING TO MAKE SURE THAT EACH STUDENT HAS WHAT HE OR SHE NEEDS. ONE OF THE MOST HELPFUL CLUBS THAT IS RUN BY HOUSTON HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS, IS THE 30 AND ABOVE CLUB. THIS CLUB GIVES FREE TUTORING TO KIDS WHO NEED SPECIALIZED ACT TUTORING. ANY STUDENT WHO HAS MADE A 30 OR ABOVE ON THEIR ACT IS IN THIS CLUB. STUDENTS ARE ABLE TO WORK ONE ON ONE WITH OTHER PEERS WHO HAVE MASTERED THE ACT IN THE CATEGORY THAT ANOTHER STUDENT MIGHT NEED HELP IN. HOUSTON IS ALL AROUND AN AMAZING SCHOOL AND I WOULD HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT TO ANYONE.
We are ranked #10 in Tennessee by US News & World report! The sports are very good with state and nationally ranked teams. I have enjoyed my experience at Houston High School.
I really liked a lot of things about my school. This school is one of the best in the state. However, it did have downfalls. Sports are a huge focus, but some are excluded. They only make the sports that bring in the most money (like football) important. They paid a million dollars for the new football field last year, while the softball team has to practice at the church across the street because of the lack of facilities! I also want to note that the competition is high at our school. It's good for those wanting to get 7 AP classes in and get 36's on the ACT, but the curriculum leaves behind those who don't learn as quickly (through no fault of their own). I can't complain much because of the kind of school I go to.I should be lucky that I am in one of the best schools.
My first day of high school was stressful to say the least. This school was triple the size of my middle school, plus there were multiple buildings. However, as time went on I began to find teachers that truly wanted to see my grow. I learned that although the campus was bigger, and there were far more students, the teachers were always there to help.
Houston High School is a great school, environment and academic/education wise. Everyone is very nice and kind, and I like how they prepare you for college. I am in my Senior year and so far, I'm already being helped with a lot of good information to know about college.
Houston High School is a very good school that gets you ready for the next step in your life after high school whether that be colleges or not. The teachers are very involved in the school and care for the students very much. They truly want to see their students succeed.
I loved Houston High School when I attended. There were plenty of clubs to join and a lot of college prep.
Excellent school with clubs and activities for everyone! The class sizes are about 25 students to one teacher. There is a variety of classes. Houston High School offers Advanced Placement classes as well as Dual Enrollment classes. The school has a lot of school spirit and the kids are inviting and welcoming to others. Houston High School prepares students for colleges and life through their wonderful teaching.
Houston high school is an amazing high school and I'll recommend anyone to go there. I wish there was a little more parent involvement.
Start Your Review of Houston High School
I pretty much only liked the school for a few teachers, the CC and Track team, and my friends. Nothing else really stands out to me about it other than someone needs to take charge in expanding the building and renovating the bathrooms. Things Houston can improve on: the bathrooms, the parking lot, the funding for the art department, the science labs, the admin (except for Ms. Able, she's cool), and the overall quality of the building.
There is absolutely nothing I would change about Houston! Everything and everyone were absolutely wonderful!
Houston High School constantly provides its students with valuable lessons and life skills that they will need in the future. Teachers are constantly encouraging students to get involved and make the most of their high school experience. I've noticed that at Houston, most teachers won't "baby" their students or give them the easy way out. Instead, Houston's teachers push their students to achieve their goals without help and make sure they are doing their work to the best of their abilities. One negative about Houston is the lack of guidance in regard to college readiness. Counselors won't seek out students to give them college advice, the student must take time out of their own schedule to see a counselor with any important questions they may have about college or anything really.