Overall Niche Grade
- College PrepA
- Clubs & ActivitiesA-
- Health & SafetyA-
- Resources & FacilitiesB-
Houston High School is a highly rated, public school located in Germantown, TN. It has 1,906 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 19 to 1. According to state test scores, 11% of students are at least proficient in math and 62% in reading.
Houston High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A-491 Students
- B476 Students
- A+186 Students
- B174 Students
- A-162 Students
- A161 Students
- B-134 Students
- A-132 Students
- A-106 Students
- A101 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.32 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.32 responses
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.37 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.37 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.37 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.52 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.52 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.52 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.56 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.56 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.56 responses
Houston High School Reviews
Houston high-school is a great school! The teachers are wonderful and seem to really care about the students. The academics are pretty good and there are many opportunities for academic greatness including school provided tutoring, contests in all subjects, and many more. Most sports are really good here. I play volleyball and the varsity has won 2nd in state many times. The only thing that I would change is how the school is dealing with Covid-19; although, It is more the states fault than individual schools. Houston high-school is struggling to update families about new measures needed to be taken. We are only going to school 2 days a week but most sports are still practicing everyday of the week, which doesn't really make since. Overall, Houston is a great school but needs to work on Covid-19 measures
For a public school, the education at Houston is top of the line. It's as a simple as that the test scores, the culture of the school, and the teachers are all phenomenal not only by Memphis and Tennessee public school standards but on a national level. While the campus itself is due for upgrades, these are in the planning stages and likely to come sooner than later. Overall, Houston is one of the finest schools in the Memphis area, both public and private, by any measure. Go Mustangs!
Houston High School is one for the books. As a rising senior, Houston High School allowed me to grow as a person. The academics at this school is impeccable. I learn something new everyday. The teachers make learning fun and engaging. The variety of clubs and activities allows the students to do what they love. Our school culture is very diverse. The culture is very welcoming and energetic. At Houston High school we take sports very seriously and that what makes the school enjoyable. The resources around Houston High School is what make the school college ready. The science, Technology, and Math department is very involved and compete yearly placing every time. Houston High school goes above and beyond to ensure our safety. The faculty and administration work very hard to make certain that the students are engaged. The diversity makes our school a better environment. Houston High School is the place to be.