Houghton Lake High School is a public school located in Houghton Lake, MI. It has 492 students in grades 8-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 17 to 1. According to state test scores, 22% of students are at least proficient in math and 47% in reading.
Houghton Lake High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- B78 Students
- B68 Students
- A62 Students
- B60 Students
- B+54 Students
- C+49 Students
- A+41 Students
- B38 Students
- B-36 Students
- B+31 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.7 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.7 responses
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.8 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.8 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.8 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.10 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.10 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.10 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.13 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.13 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.13 responses
Houghton Lake High School Reviews
Houghton Lake, Michigan is where I was raised from the time I was three years old. It is a relatively small town in northern Michigan, which means, of course, there is a small school system. There isn't a turf football field, a swimming pool, a mac computer lab, or take home i pads. Although there isn't the same opportunities offered as there would be at a big school through classes, clubs, activities, or technology, there is absolutely no lack of educators and faculty who care about their students' well being and their futures. The teachers care about more than us passing their classes. They care that we have a roof over our heads, food to eat, and people who love us. They teach us how to think critically and how to be good, caring people. There are so many more things I could say about the experiences I have had in band, bowling, drama, and more, but all in all, Houghton Lake provides a very loving and supporting school system, and I am so glad to have attended it.
Houghton Lake High School has a great sense of school spirit. Sports are very important here, and athletes are supported tremendously. Houghton Lake High School offers many amazing opportunities such as dual enrollment classes for juniors and seniors, many clubs like NHS (National Honor Society), Interact, and SLS (Students Leading Students). If I were able to change something about Houghton Lake High School I would provide more funding for the fine arts programs like band, drama, and art. I would also allow for free lunch for every student and better lunches as a whole.
I have been going to Houghton Lake Community Schools my whole school career. It isn't that big of a school, and most of us have been together since kindergarten. I have learned a lot from Houghton Lake High School. I have learned a lot of academic things, and I have learned a lot about people too. Overall, I think I have had a good ride at Houghton Lake High School. I never really had any problems, and I was able to do pretty well in school. This school has seen my little quiet, awkward freshman self turn into college ready (still kind of awkward) senior grow. I am thankful for this school.