Houghton Central High School is a highly rated, public school located in Houghton, MI. It has 416 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 15 to 1. According to state test scores, 67% of students are at least proficient in math and 77% in reading.
Houghton Central High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A81 Students
- B-55 Students
- A+42 Students
- A39 Students
- B-25 Students
- B23 Students
- B20 Students
- B+17 Students
- B+15 Students
- A+13 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- We don't have enough responses to know if students agree that they feel safe at their school.Take our survey
- We don't have enough responses to know if students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.Take our survey
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- We don't have enough responses to know if students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.Take our survey
- We don't have enough responses to know if students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.Take our survey
- We don't have enough responses to know if students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.Take our survey
More opinions are needed!
Write a review to add yours.Review Houghton Central High School
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.7 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.7 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.7 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.7 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.7 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.7 responses
Schools like Houghton Central High School
- B+Calumet High School
- Public Schools of Calumet, Laurium, & Keweenaw, MI
- 38 reviews
- NGCopper Country Learning Center
- Copper Country Intermediate School District, MI
- PK, K-12
- B-Dollar Bay High School
- Dollar Bay-Tamarack City Area Schools, MI
- 24 reviews
- BJeffers High School
- Adams Township School District, MI
- 23 reviews
Houghton Central High School Reviews
Looking back at high school, I had a lot of ups and downs, but who doesn't in high school? I think my overall experience was excellent because Houghton High School is such a caring school. They have great teachers (for the most part) and they really prepared me for college. They aren't necessarily the most diverse school, but I wouldn't say that hindered my performance or experience while in attendance at Houghton High. They are a small school so they don't have the top-notch sports teams or clubs/activities, but I think for a small school, they excelled with what they're given. Overall, I think if you're new to the area and are considering different schools, the Houghton School District in my (slightly biased) opinion, is the best choice.
It's a high school that had wonderful faculty during my 4 years of learning. Anyone that needed help would get it, and everyone in the local area is super friendly and willing to assist others who need it more than they do. Every teacher at Houghton High is committed to teaching their students as much as they can about not just school subjects, but also general tips for life, and offer extra time and sessions to help kids improve their understanding of the subjects they're struggling with. Great school, beautiful area, 10/10 experience.
Houghton High School is a very well put together, functional school. The teachers are all kind and willing to put in extra time for their students to succeed. Students are provided with the necessary materials to learn effectively if that is what they choose to do. Houghton High School also provides a "small town" atmosphere, where students interact in a positive manner. Bullying is always addressed and never just swept under the carpet, the safety and well being of Houghton's students is clearly an important to all of the staff members. It's easy to see that Houghton's number one objective is to prepare their students for their bright futures that lie ahead.